• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Filling a 1/2 Barrel Fermenter with a 5 Gallon Brewing System

Beer Lover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I need suggestions on how to fill up a 17 gallon fermenter with a 5 gallon brewing system.
1. I have no choice but to brew 3 - 5 gallon batches and add them to the fermenter.  My plan is to brew 2 batches on 1 day and 1 batch the following day.
2. How would I manage the yeast when doing 3 brews in 2 days?  I normally use a liquid yeast with a starter.  Seeing that a starter takes about 24 hrs to make.  Would I or could I make 3 yeast starters in advance?  If so how would I store them for brew day?  Or do I make a larger starter for the 2 brews in 1 day?
3. I am working out a detailed schedule of how the brew day would go.  Some items I am looking at is how to utilize time and equipment.  Maybe have 2 brews going on at the same time.

Cheers!!!

Make enough starter for the first 5 gallon batch. Run the first batch normally, including oxygenation. The second would also run normally, but require less O2. Fermentation will stop for a few hours, then resume. Do not oxygenate the third batch.

If this recipe is heavy on aroma hops, omit them for the first batch and split those across the second & third. You'll get less aromatics scrubbed from O2 that way.

Back