• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First batch going in San Diego...

TheDuster

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm 3 days into my first attempt at home brewing (Doing a Red Ale) and am already hooked!  Its amazing to me how entertaining sitting in front of a carboy can be.  So far, all of my knowledge has been obtained from books, friends and the interwebs, though I plan to take advantage of the wealth of information available here and on the Podcast.  As for the previous poster's mention of the cold weather...  It's 76 degrees and sunny here in Southern California!  I look forward to learning from you all and hopefully not producing swill.

-Scott

TheDuster said:
Hello all,

I'm 3 days into my first attempt at home brewing (Doing a Red Ale) and am already hooked!  Its amazing to me how entertaining sitting in front of a carboy can be.  So far, all of my knowledge has been obtained from books, friends and the interwebs, though I plan to take advantage of the wealth of information available here and on the Podcast.  As for the previous poster's mention of the cold weather...  It's 76 degrees and sunny here in Southern California!  I look forward to learning from you all and hopefully not producing swill.

-Scott

keep that fermenter cool in those balmy southern cali climes. aim for 64 if you can manage it! and welcome to the hobby

20 some years ago before I worked my may into better equipment I had my wife sew a bath towel into the shape of a carboy and kept it soaked with water to keep the beer cool. How times have changed.

Freak said:
20 some years ago before I worked my may into better equipment I had my wife sew a bath towel into the shape of a carboy and kept it soaked with water to keep the beer cool. How times have changed.

pretty spiffy! I always just used an old tee-shirt.

I put a jacket on mine ,my friends would come in theapt and smell it ,and IT SMELLED SOOOOO GOOD  8)

Back