• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First crack at an experimental brew

kw642

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I have a bunch of leftover grains I want to use up so it seems like the appropriate time to try my first original recipe (attached).  Any feedback is greatly appreciated.  Not well versed in yeast starters so let me know if this plan will work.  I'm planning on splitting the batch into 2 fermenting pails (5 gallons each), so just make the starter and pour half into one pail and half into the other?  Will 4 cups of water and 1 cup of DME do the trick?

Attachments

• Expery-ment.bsmx
    23.3 KB · Views: 295
Use the starter tab in your recipe design to determine what size starter to use. I'm away from my Beersmith software so I can't open your recipe but I assume it's a 10 gallon batch? If your starter is designed for your 10 gallons then yes, you can just split it.

Calls for a 1.4l starter, personally i'd just do a 2l starter because i like easy numbers. let the starter crash the day before the brew- decant off the majority of the starter "beer" swirl up your yeast into the remaining amount and pitch half to each batch.

recipe looks ok, probably going to lose a bit of the different malt characteristics since you're using four pretty similar dark malts. I think you'll find it'll still be beer when you're done! Might want to bump your hops up a touch to balance it a bit more, but to each their own.

Back