• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Flaked rye in a stout

cmbrougham

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
This weekend, I'm hoping to brew a stout that will utilize at least two pounds of flaked rye. Ordinarily, in a stout, I'd also use a pound of flaked barley, for the obvious head-retention and body-building benefits (of the beer, of course :)). With the rye, will I need to use or see any benefit of using the flaked barley?

I think the rye will add quite a bit of body.  Two pounds sounds like quite a bit though!

Brad

I'm going to mash this on the dry side of things, so hopefully that will counteract, to some degree, the fullness that the rye will add. I really want to make sure the rye character comes through, however, hence the usage of at least two pounds of it. The few recipe examples I've seen online use at least 1.5#, and since my methods may or may not be completely up to par yet, I want to ensure maximum effect of the rye.

Back