• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Freezer failure

Billy_Brewer

Apprentice
Reaction score
Using a Johnson A419 controller on two separate Magic Chef chest freezers I have had both of the freezer units fail.  They were purchased used and supposedly 3 to 4 years old and working well.  Each freezer unit has functioned for about 12 to 14 months at temperature settings of 40 to 46 degrees Fahrenheit.  Any clue as to this experience - bad brand, need other controls or ???  Thanks

Just make sure your controller is not cycling the freezer on and off to quickly, it damages the electric motor.

+1 on that.  I happened to notice my Johnson A419 blinking "AsD" yesterday and then it cleared and freezer came on.  I'm currently lowering temps for lagering an altbier.  Thankfully(?) it's pretty dang cold here right now. 

I think the default protective delay is ten minutes?  Wonder if that could be increased?  Next time I'm down there I'll check. 

Current settings are Setpoint (SP) 47, Differential (diF) 5 degrees, Anti-Short Cycle Delay (ASd) 12 min (which the instructions say is max).  The unit operates in our garage that experiences high temperatures in the summer.  Have been concerned that may be the harmful factor.

Air heats and cools faster than water. I always found it helpful to place the temperature probe in a quart of water, inside the freezer. It extends the cycles and keeps beer stable.

I've been using a Johnson controller and the same chest freezer for at least six years. My only issue has been condensation.

brewfun said:
Air heats and cools faster than water. I always found it helpful to place the temperature probe in a quart of water, inside the freezer. It extends the cycles and keeps beer stable.

+1 to keeping the probe either wet, or cover it with some insulation tightly against the fermenter vessel wall.  I tape a FEDEX bubble package to the carboy on three sides, and slide the probe inside that pocket from the one open side. 

If you think about it, a small freezer like mine is 7.8 cubic feet, and I'm mostly concerned about the one cubic inch in the dead center of a cubic foot of beer.  The rest is air that fluctuates like Brewfun said. 

Back