• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Getting Started with Published Recipes?

KB

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Anyone have equipment profiles, mash profiles for recipes pubished in BYO, CBB, Zymurgy, etc? If so, please post for other to use.

Thanks.

Your equipment profile should be customized to your system and process. The published recipes are typically geared to give results close to the anticipated specs for the majority of brewers.

The way I usually approach a published recipe is to enter it as written into my standard template containing my equipment profile. This also allows me to enter in the %AA for my hops and adjust them to the expected IBU contribution the recipe calls for. I will then use the sliders under the ingredient box to adjust the OG, color, and IBU to match the target for the recipe.

I will then select a mash profile which matches the desired mash temperature as printed. I may make an adjustment in the mash temperature, as my system generally will produce a slightly more fermentable wort and end up a little lower for the final gravity. Pretty much, I will leave it as published though.

Doing this ensures that I have the best possible chances of making a recipe which is close enough to the published recipe in measurable stats. Keep in mind that you and I can both brew the same recipe and end up with different beers reflective of our individual practices and processes.

After entering more than 200 recipes into Beersmith I can attest that Oginme's method is exactly the same as mine. If you need to adjust your equipment profile just for one recipe use the button immediately to the right of the Equipment display. For example, some of the recipes I transcribe list a boil time longer than 60 minutes so I use this button that says "Edit the equipment settings for this recipe". You can make a small change here and not worry about that change being made to your primary profile.

Your equipment profile should be customized to your system and process. The published recipes are typically geared to give results close to the anticipated specs for the majority of brewers.

The way I usually approach a published recipe is to enter it as written into my standard template containing my equipment profile. This also allows me to enter in the %AA for my hops and adjust them to the expected IBU contribution the recipe calls for. I will then use the sliders under the ingredient box to adjust the OG, color, and IBU to match the target for the recipe.

I will then select a mash profile which matches the desired mash temperature as printed. I may make an adjustment in the mash temperature, as my system generally will produce a slightly more fermentable wort and end up a little lower for the final gravity. Pretty much, I will leave it as published though.

Doing this ensures that I have the best possible chances of making a recipe which is close enough to the published recipe in measurable stats. Keep in mind that you and I can both brew the same recipe and end up with different beers reflective of our individual practices and processes. concrete grinding washington dc
  1. Mash Tun: Specify the volume and dimensions of your mash tun, as well as any insulation or heating elements.
  2. Boil Kettle: Provide details about your boil kettle, including its volume, heating elements, and any other relevant features.
  3. Fermentation Vessel: Describe the fermentation vessel you use, noting its volume, type (glass, stainless steel, plastic), and any temperature control measures.
  4. Cooling Equipment: Mention the type of cooling equipment you utilize, such as an immersion chiller, counterflow chiller, or plate chiller.
  5. Wort Transfer and Filtration: Indicate the method you use to transfer wort and any filtration devices or techniques employed.
  6. Yeast Handling: Specify your yeast handling procedures, including starters, fermentation temperature control, and any other relevant details.
Mash Profile:

1. Mash Schedule: Outline the specific steps of your mash schedule, including temperature rests and durations. Specify whether you employ a single-infusion mash, step mash, or decoction mash.
  2. Mash Thickness: Specify the ratio of water to grain (liquor-to-grist ratio) used in your mash.
  3. Mash Temperatures: Detail the target temperatures for each step in your mash schedule, including protein rest, saccharification rest, and mash-out.
  4. Mash pH: Mention your target pH level for the mash and any adjustments you make to achieve it.
  5. Mash Time: Indicate the overall duration of your mash, including rests and recirculation.
It's important to note that equipment profiles and mash profiles can vary depending on your specific brewing system, recipe, and personal preferences. Adjustments may be required based on your individual setup and the characteristics you aim to achieve in your beer.

For detailed and specific equipment and mash profiles for recipes published in brewing magazines like BYO, CBB, or Zymurgy, it's best to refer to the original publications or reach out to fellow brewers who may have brewed those recipes and can provide their experiences and profiles. Brewing forums and online communities are great resources for sharing and exchanging recipe profiles and techniques.

Back