• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Gigawort Profile

bg816am

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I know the gigawort is relatively new, and is an mainly for extract brewing, but has anyone set up an equipment profile for it yet? Or is there a way to accurately adjust the electric urn profile for it?

Thanks!

bg816am said:
Hey Everyone,

I know the gigawort is relatively new, and is an mainly for extract brewing, but has anyone set up an equipment profile for it yet? Or is there a way to accurately adjust the electric urn profile for it?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure gigawort is for all grain. But I need to go look it up again.

It's definitely for extract. Its an electric brew kettle by NB.

bg816am said:
It's definitely for extract. Its an electric brew kettle by NB.

Ah, so its their extract version of a robobrew. Like every company has been trying to knock off, and now created a ton of cheap clones that aren't as good.

:)

bg816am said:
Hey Everyone,

Thanks!

Greetings bg816am - perhaps you can contact the manufacturer.  BeerSmith is the most popular beer making software out there, so the manufacturer may already have the base parameters available.  If so, start with those numbers.  Then you can tweak the numbers as you begin using your system.  Or, if your system is similar to the Robobrew system, than perhaps you can start with that profile.  At least it?s a start point.

Good luck!

Great idea! I'll reach out to NB about the profile and play around with the Grainfather profile. Once I get a profile I like, I'll be sure to share it here!

bg816am,
Did you have any luck finding a profile for the Gigawort? I just purchased one and am curious how you have it set up.

Would also like to know of a profile if there is one. Just purchased one myself after doing some research. There are folks that have done BIAB batches just fine - a few youtube videos show their method.

One thing I'm curious about is people's actual setup/equipment on these. I have the Gigawort with a copperhead chiller which fits in just fine as is. Also looking for suggestions on carboy/jugs for fermentation as I'll only be doing small small batches (1-2 gallon batches). Does it make sense to do primary and secondary fermentation jugs or does it depend on type of beer I'll be brewing in there? Given that I plan on only doing smaller batches could I get away with just one (primary) carboy/jug and then siphon straight to bottling from there?

Making your own equipment profile is very easy. It just takes a few measurements. Even if there was an existing profile for your system I still always recommend customizing it to fit your personal set up.

This tutorial is for a larger system but the volume measurements can be translated:
https://youtu.be/HwEbjOt8OR8

This one is also helpful plus has info specifically for BIAB:
https://youtu.be/QmW7pwQP5mQ

tdins5 said:
Would also like to know of a profile if there is one. Just purchased one myself after doing some research. There are folks that have done BIAB batches just fine - a few youtube videos show their method.

One thing I'm curious about is people's actual setup/equipment on these. I have the Gigawort with a copperhead chiller which fits in just fine as is. Also looking for suggestions on carboy/jugs for fermentation as I'll only be doing small small batches (1-2 gallon batches). Does it make sense to do primary and secondary fermentation jugs or does it depend on type of beer I'll be brewing in there? Given that I plan on only doing smaller batches could I get away with just one (primary) carboy/jug and then siphon straight to bottling from there?

To respond to your fermentation question, Most people don't bother to transfer into secondary fermentation vessels these days.  The risks of oxidation and contamination far exceed any minor benefit from a separate secondary vessel.  Times when you might consider transferring into a secondary fermenting jug would be for very long fermentation times exceeding 3 to 4 weeks.

When bottling, I would recommend getting a small bucket so that you can make a solution of your carbonation sugar, boil it to sanitize and then transfer the finished beer on top to mix thoroughly and then bottle out of that bucket.  You can also look for one with or install a spigot to make the bottling easier.  Bottling wands made filling the bottles easy and less messy.

tdins5 said:

I finally have my grain bag made for the Gigawort and I have not used it yet, but I picked up the FastFerment conical 3 gallon on amazon. 

I've attached two equipment profiles I have created for Gigawort, based on 2.5 gal batches.  You can use this as a basis.

I haven't brewed using this profile, as I just got Gigawort for Christmas.  That will change next week.

Let me know if you have questions>

Gary

Attachments

• Full Boil - 2.5 gal.pdf
    399.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Partial Extract - 2.5 gal.pdf
    399.8 KB · Views: 19
Back