• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Glass icon color in recipe and tab listing

charles kassel

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'd like the "glass" to default to the selected style color when there are no ingredients listed in the design view.  As a Pico Brewer the Style is known but not the actual recipe and the "glass" of course is clear!  The Recipe Tab view shows no glass colors except for the PicoPaks I designed and know the recipe for.  So much better with some colored glasses.  I understand removing custom images with the Cloud, but these would be the same as depicted in the Style in Design view.  Possibly the next minor update :)

I don't follow?

The glass represents the color of the beer your recipe will be. generally style guidelines have a tolerance of color, which can be very wide, My light dopplebock hits around 6-7srm and my dark dopplebock is at the other end of the dopplebock spectrum at 25srm. Thats a pretty huge difference in color.

BS3 does not display a "glass color" when no ingredients are listed as in an unspecified recipe like a proprietary PicoPak.  The Style of the Brew is known and the Guide's color is close enough and could be used as the default with no grain bill instead of 0 SRM.  Would also make the recipe tab more indicative of brews than clear glasses.  I use BS3 with my known brews and for tracking gravities in Pico Brews and the calendar.

I get what you're saying, but if you don't know the color that the recipe provides, you can't put an accurate color in the glass.

As stated, ive brewed beers that still fit the style guides from 6 to 25 srm, which is a pretty significant difference. without knowing the ingredients, one cannot know the color the beer will be. Perhaps find out the ingredients from wherever youre getting them from and then enter them as you would if you were building a recipe. Perhaps contacting picobrew about their recipes would be the best bet, as then you would know what you're putting in your beer.

If it automatically chose a color for a style, than people creating a beer wouldn't be able to see what color their beer is as they're crafting their recipe. It also can't put in estimated og, fg, ibus, etc. nor would the software be useful to anyone if it automatically entered numbers based on a middle of the road number per the style.

Follow?

again, dopplebocks are a great representation, If you were to select dopplebocks, the color can range from 6srm to 25srm which is like a light golden to a dark brown almost stout like color. You couldn't select a color without having the recipe.

granted some beer styles have a narrow range, but some do not.

If i were you, and using pre-made recipes like that, I'd reach out to the maker and ask for specifics so that i could recreate the recipe, or just deal with the fact that i'm making someone elses recipe and i'm stuck with whatever they give me. Thats one reason why I personally would never use something like that.

Attachments

• 44aecee70fdd5040ef38b7dc29242467--beer-snob-colour-chart.jpg
    44aecee70fdd5040ef38b7dc29242467--beer-snob-colour-chart.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 283
This is what I want to avoid in a "view."  Attacheds.  A very wide range of "BJHP" colors can be poorly displayed on your Doppelbocks and not looking for that degree of accuracy here.  Every Brew in the pic is the same "glass rendition," aside from the one I crafted the grain bill for and no way is Pico going to tell me what is in a Patented/Trade Marked recipe!  Not looking for 100% accuracy as your Doppelboks show variances, BUT a Cream Ale is not a Red, nor a Schwartz Bier, nor a Stout in "general color."  Just a saying the auto inclusion of a BJHP "Style Color" when no grain bill present or 0 SRM could default to THE accepted Style color.
I know the OG/FGs of me brew and a good idea of the IBUs/ABVs expected and no need for BS3 to "ponder" such.  Just desire a "Color" in the Icon!
Steady temps and fresh grains unto you!
C III

Attachments

• Recipes Tab 2.jpg
    Recipes Tab 2.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 284
  • Recipe Tab.jpg
    Recipe Tab.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 307
perhaps just enter some colored malts in the ingredients since it seems you could care less about the accuracy of anything except the colored glass?

How about trying this?  Since the Picopaks have the stats for the resultant beer which includes the color of the beer in SRM, that you enter that into the specifications for the Picopak?  I would also recommend talking to the people at PicoBrew since I am pretty sure they have run across this before and might give some idea on how to enter it into brewing software.

charles kassel said:
This is what I want to avoid in a "view."  Attacheds.  A very wide range of "BJHP" colors can be poorly displayed on your Doppelbocks and not looking for that degree of accuracy here.  Every Brew in the pic is the same "glass rendition," aside from the one I crafted the grain bill for and no way is Pico going to tell me what is in a Patented/Trade Marked recipe!  Not looking for 100% accuracy as your Doppelboks show variances, BUT a Cream Ale is not a Red, nor a Schwartz Bier, nor a Stout in "general color."  Just a saying the auto inclusion of a BJHP "Style Color" when no grain bill present or 0 SRM could default to THE accepted Style color.
I know the OG/FGs of me brew and a good idea of the IBUs/ABVs expected and no need for BS3 to "ponder" such.  Just desire a "Color" in the Icon!
Steady temps and fresh grains unto you!
C III

So if Pico won't tell you what's in their recipes, why do you believe they would tell BeerSmith. Maybe you think Brad Smith, the author, has a crystal ball. Maybe you just don't think.

Back