• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Gose (Gose Uh) Recipe Question

Notown

Apprentice
Reaction score
My local homebrew club is holding an in club competition where we draw a style and have 3 months to formulate and brew and bottle the beer.  I pulled Gose.  The only information I could find is a recipe from Brew Your Own online.  I will copy the recipe below but was hoping someone might have brewed this style before and may have suggestions especially regarding the acid malt and salt amounts.

Thanks

There She Gose Again
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.048  FG = 1.012 
IBU = 12  SRM = 4  ABV = 4.7%

Ingredients:
5 lbs. (2.3 kg) wheat malt
3.25 lbs. (1.5 kg) German Pilsner malt (2 °L)
2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg) acidulated malt (2 °L)
0.50 lbs (0.23 kg) rice hulls
2.8 AAU Santiam hops (60 min.)
    (0.5 oz./14 g of 5.6% alpha acids)
1 tsp Irish moss or 1 Whirlfloc® tablet
    (15 min.)
1.0 oz (28 g) ground coriander seed
    (10 min.)
0.75 oz (21 g) sea salt (10 min.)
White Labs WLP029 (German Ale/Kölsch Yeast) or Wyeast 1007 (German Ale) yeast
0.75 cup (150 g) priming sugar

Step by Step
Mill the grains, but be sure to keep the acidulated malt separate. Do not mill the rice hulls. Dough in all but the acidulated malt using 4.0 gallons (15 L) of water with a target mash holding temperature of 149 °F (65 °C). Hold the mash temperature for approximately 60 minutes or until the conversion is complete. Add the acidulated malt to the mash for an additional 45 minutes. Try to keep the temperature as close to original mash temperature as possible using an available heat source. Anything between 144–149 °F (62–65 °C) will work. Raise the temperature of the mash to 168 °F (76 °C) and begin sparging with 170 °F (77 °C) water until you collect 6.0 gallons (23 L) of wort in the kettle.

I brewed this recipe a couple times. I cut back the salt to 1/2 oz, it seem to taste more like Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof gose. Next time I think I would try more acidulated malt( I mashed my in a seperate cooler then added to main mash before right sparging), or maybe try a little Lactic acid for a touch more sour note. It's a slightly wide range flavor profile beer, and not to many people have drank the original article. So I think you you should do fine on it. The water had a salty taste due to salt mines in the area.

Good luck.

Thanks.  I like the idea of mashing the aciduated malt separately to save time. 

I was not sure how to handle the salt.  I decided to go with a Himalayan sea salt for a bit of extra mineral content but will go with your recommendation to dial the amount down a bit. 

It is a strange style.  Ill keep my eye out for a commercial example.  I think Sam Adams just released one as a limited release. 

I have a question about this recipe!
So it says 2.88 AAU, so do you really only need .5oz of hops addition at the beginning of the boil?

Thanks!

I brewed this recipe and was very pleased with the sourness.  Had some very mild fruit undertones (pears maybe?) not sure if it was the hops or yeast, I used a  Kolsch.  Actually thought this might be a nice base for a very fruity low bitter, but sour IPA.  Thinking about adding some aroma hops like citra? My brew was not quite dry enough but looking for flying dog blood orange ale type of taste.  Any ideas?

Back