• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Gose with Philly Sour

Finn Berger

Brewer
Reaction score
I've just gotten my first attempt at brewing a sour beer ready, a gose made with Philly Sour. And I'm very pleased with the result.

Very simple recipe; 50/50 wheat malt and pilsner malt + 3% dextrose, 12 gr salt and a good pinch of coriander. 12 gr of Premiant to get 13 IBUs. (16 lts batch.)No extra fuzz with souring, just strewing the yeast onto the wort and let it do the work at room temperature. The first three days nothing seemed to happen, but that's because Philly is souring the wort before it starts fermenting it.

12 days in the fermenter, and the beer was ready for bottling. And there is the only extra bother: You need new bottling yeast. I used CBC-1, and you must rehydrate it.

The beer is very refreshing. 3% dextrose got just the right degree of souring, and the salt and the coriander is just barely perceptible - which is also just right. There's a nice citrusy hint to the aroma, and the beer has a solid bready malt backbone. Dry finish.

I'm contemplating a red flanders with this yeast. Probably won't be quite Rodenbach, but might still be tasty enough:).

Sounds nice, what about ABV for this one?
I brewed a raspberry sour in the autumn using Philly Sour and it turned out really well.
I'm thinking of brewing a saison and then souring it with philly sour. Haven't quite figured out when to pitch the yeasts yet.

Sounds nice, what about ABV for this one?
I brewed a raspberry sour in the autumn using Philly Sour and it turned out really well.
I'm thinking of brewing a saison and then souring it with philly sour. Haven't quite figured out when to pitch the yeasts yet.
It went from 1.050 to 1.010, 5,3% ABV.

I think you must sour it with PS first, and then, after a couple of days as the fermentation starts, pitch some active saison yeast.

Last edited:
Back