• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grain Storage - freezing Temps.

Pirate Point Brewer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
I need to reorganize my brewing space and would like to store the sealed bags and buckets of grain in my garage rather than inside. The bags stay sealed and are plastic not paper. Once open the grain is stored in sealed 5 gal buckets. It will remain dry, but during the winter, my brew season, the garage does get close to and occasionally below freezing. Will this have any negative effect on the grain???

I have stored my bulk grains in Vittles Vaults containers kept in the garage for years. The garage is not attached and is un-insulated. It definitely freezes during the winter and I have had zero issues.

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!
Thanks Kevin!! You Are a Life Saver!
Never had to store the bulk grains outside the house before. We always buy 400 pounds in the fall to ready our brew season. We brew about 260 gallons each winter and keg them so we can play on the boats all summer for less than 30 cents a glass!! This fall we were reorganizing the back room where we store all of our brew and seasonal stuff. So I guess I got a little excited as the season changed and the temps in the garage started really dropping!! In any economy, didn't want to waste that kind of money! Even worse would be to tell the Princess that HER STUFF had to go to the garage!! 🤣

Thanks again!

I have had no issues storing grains cold, but if you store them in any kind of warm or wet environment they can degrade quickly.

Thanks Staff!!

I was aware of the humidity problems but was very worried about the uncrushed grains freezing. Normally we wait till the fall to buy but anticipating what would happen with grain prices due o the Invasion of Ukraine we bought in the late spring. The garage is cool and we needed the inside space so we made a shelf to keep the bags off the floor. We are now into our first freezing weather and there was no way the Princess was giving up her new found space in the back room!

Thanks again for the reply

Preston

Back