Grainfather S40 equipment profile

Lawois

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been brewing on a Robobrew 3.1 for about 5 years now, and recently acquired a Grainfather S40 in order to be able to brew double 5 gallons batches. I have been scratching my head trying to find a BeerSmith equipment profile for it, or even creating my own, but for some reason I can't get my head around it. I am not sure about certain values to input, and do not want to mess up a recipe (double batch). The specs that I could find from the manufacturer goes like this:

Mash Tun deadspace volume: 7L (1.85 US Gallon)
Max pre-boil volume : 46L (12 US Gallon)
Batch volume: Max 40L (11 US gallon), Min 10L ( 3 US Gallon)
Grain Bill : Max 10kg ( 22 lbs), Min 5kg (11 lbs)

What other specs would I need to get in order to dial this in properly using BeerSmith 3 ? Or better yet, anyone else has a profile already created? Cant wait to get my first brew done on this new guy!

Thanks in advance,

Lawois

Just got an S40 myself and noticed there is not a profile built for it yet. Curious, did you ever get one setup that seems accurate?

Creating an equipment profile isn't difficult and making your own is far superior to using one someone else made up. Brad's write up that he just shared is a good outline to follow but if you prefer something visual here is a YouTube tutorial that I find extremely helpful. I've used it to create three custom equipment profiles for different systems. Ignore the title that says "Beersmith 2 Tutorial" because the process is identical to BS3. Also don't get caught up with the tutorial being shown on a multivessel system. You can adapt it to an all-in-one.

I did find that the Grainfather app had a good amount of this information built-in that I was able to use to create a profile. Is it accurate? That I'm not sure of yet. But, it's a good starting point.

Greetings, can anyone share that user made profile please.

I actually wrote Grainfather. They did not provide a profile but they gave me this data which you could enter into a new profile:
----
We don't have a BeerSmith profile but I have included the equipment parameters below:

Grainfather S40
Batch Size: 23 l
Mash Volume: 40 l
Efficiency: 0.75
Mash Tun Deadspace: 7 l
Mash Thickness: 2.7 l/kg
Mash Tun Loss: 0 l
Grain Absorption: 0.8 l/kg
Boil Volume: 45 l
Wort Shrinkage: 0.04
Boil Loss: 3 l/h
Trub and Chiller Loss: 3 l