• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Greetings and Salivation

B

BtaBrew

Hello there.  I'm up here in the Pacific Northwest (WA State) right outside a national park.  We're within walking distance of a major river that's glacier fed, so my water is incredible (and filtered before it comes into the house.)  I've brewed a few batches, one extract only and three or four extract plus specialty grain kits from Northern Brewer.  So far, they've all finished well.  My last batch was NB's Scottish Wee Heavy Ale.  I cellared the last few bottles for over a year, and it was absolutely amazing.  I'm going to try making the tranistion to all-grain, so I'm in the process of buying equipment (found a five-gallon Gott style cooler for $20 on a well-known classified site).

I'm going to try something lighter for my next batch (read something that SWMBO will enjoy).  I was thinking a cream ale or a Kolsch-style brew, as lagering is out of the question right now.  I don't mind hops (I cut my teeth on Redhook ESB) but she does, so I want something fairly balanced.  I'm thinking about designing my own recipe, but have yet to learn the fine details of that.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the site, Beersmith, and all of the info I've found here.

Look forward to talking with you all soon!

Welcome to the forum - lots of great people here. I'm just South of you down in Oregon .... but I'm not just outside of a National Park - DOH!

The wife and I both tend to like ales on the balanced / maltier side. If you want I've got an Alaskan Amber and a take on Fat Tire that are easy to drink.

Cheers

Welcome Aboard!  I'm a flatlander from the concrete jungle of Chicago.  I'm jealous of both or your access to fresh hops.  I'm trying to coerce my uncle into growing or at least bulk shipping me some as he's close to the Yakima in Ellensburg. 

I'd like to get back up there this fall for my cuz' wedding, but chances are slim to none.

And welcome to you.  In 2010, I plan on riding my bike from Seattle back to Wisconsin and will be taking the Northern Tier route.  Possibly close to where you are now.

Two great hobbies, Beer, Biking and did I mention Backgammon?

SOGOAK said:
I'm jealous of both or your access to fresh hops. 

It is amazing - a lot of hops are grown in the Willamette Valley. Great to be riding out in the farm areas and seeing acres and acres of hops growing up lines. I'll try to post a pic or two come August.

Back