• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hello from Michigan

jjones

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello all,
My name is John, and I live just North of Detroit. I started brewing in March of 2012 using extract. I am starting to peice together my full grain equipment, hopefully by winter I will be brewing full grain, but until then I will experiment with the extract recipes. I love brewing beer, I have read several books on it, and this will just be another resource for me. 

Welcome!  Extract brewing is a great way to make beer.  I would encourage you to focus on fermentation temperature control before going to all grain.  You can make great extract beers focusing on sanitation and fermentation control! 

Cheers!

Hello jomebrew,
I have have the fermentation temperature and sanitation down. I have no a/c in my house but I installed a window unit in the room where I store my brew. I still plan on doing extract recipes even when I get all my equipment for all grain brewing, it is easier to experiment with.

Sweet.  You are 85% ahead of the curve!  I have never done my own batch of extract brewing.  I've assisted with 30 or 40 of 'em but never my own.  I helped 8 or 9 folks gear up to homebrewing starting with extract kits. 

I learned on all grain and setup for all grain from the start.  It was 6 months before I even learned about extract.  I started my equipment setup from fermentation outward.  My first piece of brewing equipment was a small fridge with external temp controller.  Later I added a kettle and cooler/mash tun then burners, etc. 

That is awesome, my buddy does full grain but he will not experiment with it because it is time consuming to brew one batch. He said he is afraid to waste it.  Well, even when I go to full grain, I am going to use the extract kits to experiment with differant things.  The beer is still good....

While its true that you can double the time it takes to make beer by all grain methods, I find it much cheaper and easier in that arena to experiment.

Back