• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

help with configuring yeast starters from slants

RJKSKI

Brewer
Reaction score
I culture my yeast. I make slants and then grow themn using a stir plate to either 1 liter or 2 liters of starter over a 3 day period prior to brewing. I designated my american ale (1056) as a slant and as a culture. i specified on the yeast starter page to use a 1 quart starter. I would prefer liters but... a quart is close enough. When I look at the print page it states to pitch 124.21ml of yeast starter. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

I've tried to figure this out as well.  Not sure what the software author intended us to do with the slants.  I expect there to be some way for us to grow our slants over multiple "Step ups".

I usually add 10ml wort to my slant tube, then dump that into 100ml.  Then dump that into 1000ml.

I don't see how to notate that within the software. ???

I do 10ml - 50ml - 250/300ml and then to 1 or 2 liters depending on the beer. High ABV beers I'll grow to 2 liters. This also effects the total volume in the fermenter which isn't addressed in software. Brad, can you give us any advise on this.

Hi,
  I apologize - I did not size things properly to handle slants.  In general I set a minimum of 1 quart for starters thinking most people would be working in those ranges for typical homebrew, and starters below that typically don't offer much for an average person working with a 100 billion cell wyeast pack.

What I may be able to do is modify this limit in a future patch to allow much smaller starter calculations.  Could a few of you send me emails so I can add you to the beta list and we can test out some of these features for a future update?

Brad

Back