• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hi all. New to the Forum

B

Bevo

Hi everyone. Im new to the forum but glad to be a part of it. I will certainly look forward to any suggestions or opinions you all have and hopefuly I will be able to contribute a little bit myself.

Im in Townsville Australia and I brew all grain. I have a few hop plants for the first time so any tips are always welcome. Just purchased the BrewSmith software and I must say I wish i had done it years ago, looks great.

Happy Brewing

Bevo

Welcome,
  We're happy to have you!

Cheers,
Brad

G'day Bevo,
I'm in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney.  I've planted Hallertauer and Goldings.  Both in full sun, same soil and water.  The Hallertauer is going like the clappers, the Goldings never came up.
Cheers,
Mike. 

THanks all, A lot of good info on the forum I must say.

I have some Cascade hops that after five weeks from a rhizome are over 6 1/2 feet tall. Out of control.
Also a Cluster, 10 days old, 2 foot tall and going strong.
Finaly a Hallatau, 10 days old but a little stunted, three good bines 2 inches tall, probably just sort its roots out this year but you never know. I think they should all do well here even if it is a bit tropical.

Have a IPA fermenting and all the grain for a lager to be done on the weekend. After about 10 months of loosing interest and (shame) purchasing commecial beer, the hop plants have rejuvinated my brewing enthusiasm. Im off and running again. Ive been brewing for many years, about two allgrain, and Im glad to be back into it.

Cheers bevo

Hi,
I am Eathen and I am a new member of this site. I like this site as here I got too much stuff to discuss about alcoholism.

==================================
Eathen
Alcohol Rehabilitation

Hi Brevo,
Good to seeya.
As I live just outside of Mackay, I'm interested in how your hops turn out. I always thought you needed a colder climate for growing hops. When do they bud up? Let us know how it all turns out.

Bay13

Hey Bevo, welcome on board.

Bay: It looks like you're both around 25/26* S, and the direct sun could be a problem.  I live and grow hops in a prime region (42* N) and I find that the sun can weigh a little heavy if I don't hydrate properly.  I've heard it all, but here's what advice I took that worked for me:

1) New hops should be given a few short soakings a day, but allow the surface soil to dry before rehydrating
2) Older, established hops require only one good soaking a day in the morning
3) Keep leaves off the wet soil to avoid mildew

I would think that as long as you or Bevo provide a little protection from the sun on really hot days (maybe lattice) you'd get a really good crop in a long summer region.  I hope you give it a shot and find success.

Well, b/c we've got a few mates here, I'd like to know if any of you are aware of--or have used Pacific Gem.  A high alpha with an earthy-spice character grown in your part of the world.  I have read some negative to average ratings on the variety, however, I bittered a hopped-up amber with PG and it was a real success.  Any thoughts?

Dman

Back