• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop additions in oz/g per gal/L

mtb

New Forum Member
Reaction score
More often than not, when putting a recipe together, I wonder how much of X hop to add at whatever stage of the boil/fermentation, and I often think of that as unit of weight versus unit of volume (ie grams per litre). I know now for example, that after trawling home brew forums, the ideal dry hop of Galaxy for me is 2g/L. That is far easier for me to remember and compare to other recipes.

If Beersmith were to reflect hop additions as a per unit of volume amount (ie in the "Add Hops" window) I wouldn't need to manually calculate it myself, and when reviewing recipes that worked for me, I could easily see which hop ratio worked - whereas Beersmith currently will only tell me the weight of hops added, and I have to calculate the hop-to-batch-volume ratio myself.

My 0.02c

While that may suit you, it may be particular to your process and approach.  When I am developing a recipe, I first brew it without dry hopping and add some hops directly to several bottles when bottling to give me a sense of how much I will want to add in the next brewing.  I have found that the amount of hops varies greatly with the variety, the total oils of that lot of hops, and the specific aromatic impact I am looking for from that particular hop in that particular recipe. 

My recommendation would be when you find a figure that works for you (such as 2g/l for Galaxy), add it to the notes for that particular hop as a reference.

This post probably belongs in Suggestions.

mtb said:
If Beersmith were to reflect hop additions as a per unit of volume amount (ie in the "Add Hops" window) I wouldn't need to manually calculate it myself.

For items in the Misc database, this already exists. The fields of "Amount" then "For a batch of" set the ratio. The amount increment is variable but the batch amount defaults to the units used in recipe formulation. It sets baseline additions for various ingredients I use, from water minerals to oak chips to fruit extracts. Each of these has a different ratio and this tool means I don't have to memorize them all, once I've worked out the initial math.

I think it would be useful for setting baseline increments of both hops and grains. AFAIK, it's not a feature found in any other recipe program for homebrewers.

Back