• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop Storage

kurtvb

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Just read your post on storing Hops. It seems that to account for HSI in our inventor in BS3 you need to add a date for the hops purchased in the inventory section that would do the calculation on whatever you have in inventory.  This would give you an at-a-glance idea of the HSI for the Hops you are bout to use and maybe create an alert for when your Hops will go below 50%

Hop storage is more complicated than a single time parameter using the reported HSI would indicate.  The testing parameters for determining the HSI are controlled and very temperature and oxygen exposure driven as well.  Since I store my hops in a freezer, in vacuum sealed bags, in a sealed container, the HSI calculated at those conditions will be drastically different from the reported HSI will be.  You can see the effects of these parameters on HSI in the study performed at MSU in their publication at https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/understanding-the-importance-of-the-hop-storage-index

Thanks for the information and link. But most brew shops don't keep their hops frozen.  Also, if I want my hops to last once opened and not used completely, dating my inventory in BeerSmith would help keep tabs on MY inventory.  I don't always have room to keep the hops at 1degree For 24 months.  I usually vacuum seal after each use.  But as a small home brewer, you don't always need 1, 2, or 3 ounces of a hop type especially if I am brewing something special.

Not necessarily at 1C, but my LHBS keeps them at about 4C.  I also keep them below freezing when in my possession.  Hop storage index is tested at 20C.  This testing at room temperature doesn't reflect refrigerated conditions, let alone alone freezer conditions.  I can guarantee you that if you keep them at colder than room temperature and then try to apply the HSI to determine %AA of said hops, you will find yourself drastically more bitter as time goes by.  Been there, done that!

Back