• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hops Age Interface

B

brewmaster808

Suggest that Hops Age be interfaced or option. What I mean is that you could fill out the same data as with hops age, but woulld require the initial date of the hops / alpha. The program would auto adjust as hops age and adjust amout when formulating receipe. This would eliminate having to adjust the alpha of each hops in inventory each time being used. Not a programer but think it be a easy link since almost all required data is in hops age.

That's a great idea.  The only big problem is that one does not always know the age of the hops at purchase, however as you point out with the exception of the hops date, all the other data is already in the program.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad, you could always default to the Previous harvest month for the date, currently Oct/Nov 2006 (I think) for newly enterd hops.

Fred

To help with the time issue: The article I read that made me think of this stated. The average homebrew will not know what the alpha content. Thus when the homebrew designs a recipe he uses what written on the package. So with that in mind, just have the user input the date the package was purchased and the alpha content. This will be the closest guess to alpha content any homebrewer will have. Then have beersmith calculate out the difference between the date and the lost of alpha content. 

Just thought I'd add my vote for this great feature. 

Maybe there could be an additional field in the opptions table to use/not use this feature (for those who want to input less data about their ingredients or control the alpha themsleves).
Jeb

I hadn't seen this feature added. I was wondering what programing lanuage you used. I would like to modifiy my beersmith with option.

Back