• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hot Weather Spells Suck!

Ck27

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Well, it hit 100 again for the 3rd day in a row, I lost part of a case of beer that was carbonating to over carbonation and off tastes from the heat and threw the rest of the cases into my garage fridge until the weather cools back down, I really hate hot spells that hit out of nowhere, it was 65, for the last month and then it hits 100 out of nowhere.

It sounds as if you are near San Francisco, as am I. We had outrageous heat the last few days, and people were questioning my sanity when I did not cancel today's brew. It was cooler than yesterday (only 91 instead of 101) and was tolerable in the kitchen even with the kettle boiling, so I am glad I persisted. I also have a couple of cases conditioning, but they are in a room that didn't get above 90 so I hope they are OK. I will find out tomorrow when I crack the first one open.

GigaFemto said:
It sounds as if you are near San Francisco, as am I. We had outrageous heat the last few days, and people were questioning my sanity when I did not cancel today's brew. It was cooler than yesterday (only 91 instead of 101) and was tolerable in the kitchen even with the kettle boiling, so I am glad I persisted. I also have a couple of cases conditioning, but they are in a room that didn't get above 90 so I hope they are OK. I will find out tomorrow when I crack the first one open.

I know at least 4 bottles of a brew I did a couple weeks ago got ruined. My porter which had 8 days in bottle was tossed in the fridge, so hopefully 99% of beer is okay.

No I'm quite a bit south of you, I went to my homebrew store on Friday and it was 116 at that spot. I was like f**k this and left.

I did a muntons can kit today to have as a backup beer it was 86 in the room where it started fermenting which I think is okay for a couple hours its now about 73 so I think the beer will be okay as the yeast muntons uses is very temp resistant, I put 3 packages in.

I'm brew in Texas all summer without any problems by using a cooler to carbonate so this idea may help.
After bottling I put all bottles in a cooler and add one (depending how cool I want to go) or two small ice packs or frozen 16 oz water bottles in along with a probe with the lead hooked to a Crofton or Trutemp kitchen thermometer or remote Temp Sensor (See attached). 
I switch out ice packs as needed to maintain my desired temperature.  It was usually once a daily maintenance but not that much extra.
I even carbonated lagers without any problem.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Remote Temp Sensor.jpg
    Remote Temp Sensor.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 3
  • freezer packs.jpg
    freezer packs.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for the suggestion. If we had consistently hot temperatures I would do something like that, but 99.9% of the time our temperatures are mild. The problem is when you get a jump of 30-40 degrees in a couple of days, from 60s-70s to all-time record-breaking heat, then after 2-3 days it drops back down again. Freakish and not worth spending money to deal with unless it starts happening a lot more often.

GigaFemto said:
Thanks for the suggestion. If we had consistently hot temperatures I would do something like that, but 99.9% of the time our temperatures are mild. The problem is when you get a jump of 30-40 degrees in a couple of days, from 60s-70s to all-time record-breaking heat, then after 2-3 days it drops back down again. Freakish and not worth spending money to deal with unless it starts happening a lot more often.

Yes, agreed it was 72 today much more normal I've got a all grain American light and a Muntons cerveza going right now.

Both should be okay.

Back