• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How often do you brew?

How often do you brew?

• 1-2 times per year

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3-5 times per year

Votes: 14 5.1%
  • 6-9 times per year

Votes: 54 19.6%
  • Around once per month

Votes: 94 34.1%
  • 2-3 times per month

Votes: 86 31.2%
  • Weekly

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • More!

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
I do around 10 batches per year, give or take a few.  I find that my biggest limiting factor is the amount of available supplies for bottling/kegging.

Lately I've been keeping a fairly crazy pace of almost every weekend.  My goal is to get to the point where I can't brew cause everything else is all filled up.  Between primaries (I have two) secondaries (I have two ) and my three kegs, I'd like to try and get a good queue.  Right now I have two beers in the primary, one in the secondary and three in the kegs so I'm almost there.  Only problem is I think one of the beers in the kegs is almost gone which will open a keg and force me to keep brewing  ;)

I aim for 10gal a month.  That keeps up with consumption even with giveaways and guests

Unfortunately I am only able to brew 6-9 times a year.  Being Active duty navy, I don't have a whole lot of home time, and stop brewing about a month before getting underway to allow time to take care of what is in fermentation.  Otherwise I do some long term Lagers to give me something to drink when I get back from a 4-5 month long deployment.

I like to brew a 5 gallon batch at least once a month. But with sharing and such, I like to pull off 2 when I get a chance.

Oh boy, I try to brew 2-3 times a month. I used to brew 1,000 gallons 4-5 times a week (oh, those days were wonderful), but unfortunately, only 20-30 gallons a month now. And I'll be damned if it's not more work to brew 10 gallons at home than it is to brew 30bbls at work.

Got my first equipment kit for Christmas from the wife in 2006. 2007 I brewed 16 beers.  2008 I only brewed half as much with 8.  Went all grain in 2009 and have five beers so far. 

I am trying to brew about three times a month. Being active duty National Guard, one weekend a month is usually shot. Often on the road on another weekend. So typically have two weekends to try to do three batches. Been trying to keep my two primarys and three secondarys full to restock the beer supply.

weekly.  a group of guys on my block easily goes through 5 gallons on a weekend night every week.  We can barely keep up brewing!!

Time for a bigger brew pot.  Twice the beer in almost the same time.  Plus you could try different yeast and hops in different carboys.  Or diff ferm temps with all else equal. 

well im new to all this guys! ive had brewing on the mind for the last 6-8yr's now, read everything i could fine on it,tryen to git all my ducks in a row so to speak, before tryen a batch! im ready to buy my 1'st brew kit an git started here in a week or so, any sugestions on what would be a good start for the 1'st?? yf richard

I'd recommend you brew a favorite style ale that you like (not lager) that is not too high in gravity.  Lagers take more yeast, take longer, require different ferm temps, and you want easy for the first couple.

Richard, I did the same thing and about a year later, I make 10gallon all grain brews.  +1 on keeping it simple at first.  Easy recipee that will come out well so you enjoy your results.

2008 was a heavy year for me, when I brewed ten 5-gal. batches (plus a couple other times helping friends brew on their equipment).  I had stocked-up considerably with malt and hops during the year.  Then, I got laid off (December '08). 

2009 has been a record year for me, with 19 batches to date (mid-Nov) and with 4 more in the "Brew Queue", not to mention the days spent helping others brew.

Gogol

I brewed 21 five gallon batches in 08.

In 09 thus far I have brewed 13.  The difference is that I took most of the summer off as I worked on my brew stand.  In 08 all my batches were five gallons.  I am now doing 8-10 gallons at a time and am brewing often.  I think by the end of the year my batch count may be down but my volumes will be up.

This at a time when quality is also rising.

New member here.  I have only done a few brews so far.  Averaging once every year(!) starting about 4 years ago.  Just realized that. 

Found a $#!* load of ingredients in my cabinet a couple weeks ago, and started up again.  That average number should be changing soon. 

Hello Brad,

We brew two batches a weekend during our winter brewing season. We're not religious about it so if other activities take us away, we're OK with that. The last two years we've done about 32 batches in the season. We don't brew in the summer, we catch up on the drinking end of things. ;D
Statistically, this comes to about 2.5 brews each month.

Preston

Okay, so my average is WAY up compared to previously.

Over the last month I have done 3 brews.  Finishing one today;  Probably why I decided to jump on here and post.

A Pete's Wicked Clone

An Irish Stout from an old kit.

& today - An Anchor Steam Clone - finishing the boil now.

Back