• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How often do you brew?

How often do you brew?

• 1-2 times per year

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3-5 times per year

Votes: 14 5.1%
  • 6-9 times per year

Votes: 54 19.6%
  • Around once per month

Votes: 94 34.1%
  • 2-3 times per month

Votes: 86 31.2%
  • Weekly

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • More!

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
MikeinWA said:
I would not have a liver if I brewed more than twice per month.   ;D

Having a functioning liver is way overrated :D

I've brewed almost every weekend so far since the end of March. Typically 2 five gallon batches per brew weekend. Just made the jump to all grain last weekend and already have 2 all grain and one extract kit brewed in the past 7 days. All grain Black IPA next weekend if I can squeeze that in.

I am a fair weather homebrewer and only brew during non snow months as I have a contract to run guided dogsled tours in northern Minnesnowta during the winter months.

Right now it's probably once a month since I literally just started a few weeks ago. Once I get enough bottling equipment and a few more carboys to go with my current kit I hope to brew at every possible moment I can.

I average once every 3 weeks.

I was looking through my brewlog in BS and noticed I had done 18 ten gallon batches in the last year

I Brew 10 gallons at a time in 2 5 gallon batches always 2 different kinds of ale  I have a 2 spigot home made kegerator.
And i do this 2 to 3 times a month I harvest yeast and buy my hops in 1 lb. nitrogen bags and keep them in the freezer
of the kegerator and I wash my yeast and store in small mason jars in a solution of distilled water in my kitchen fridge.
i buy and crush my grains locally I am fortunate to have an excellent and highly  knowledgeable local supplier and am
quite happy with his store and his dedication to the craft.

I started brewing beer with my old man just after I finished high school in the mid 1980s.  Made my way from kits to DME recipes and eventually to all grain.  Was lucky to brew once a month during the cooler months back then.  Sadly I stopped brewing when I moved to China in 2003.

In 2007 I was fortunate to meet a Brew Master from Germany who now works for Poulaner.  He was willing to help me out with raw materials until I could source them here.  It took me and 'Grasshopper' nearly a year to build up the brewing equipment to take our Brew Master friend up on his offer but eventually we had the basics and haven't stopped adding pieces of kit since then. 

Now we have so much brewing stuff we have rented a 3 bedroom rooftop apartment to house the brewery and our mountain bikes, bike stand and tools etc.  We refer to it as our 'Man Cave'.  Aside from the bike equipment, the 6 burner stainless steel BBQ and the chili garden the 'Man Cave' houses a combination meat grinder sausage stuffer, a 20 ton apple press, 150L HLT, 100L insulated mash tun, 200L boiling pot, plate chiller, 2 conical fermenters with water chillers (80L &130L), 3 chest freezers for lagering/serving, 2 standard CO2 faucets, a stout tap, a soda fountain, CO2 bottle, 70/30% mixed gas bottle, O2 bottle,  0.5 micron diffuser, magnetic stir plate with 4 liter flask for yeast starters and 20 corny kegs with another 10 on the way.  The CIP pump stand is nearly finished for the 130L fermenter that came with a CIP ball and the plans for the keg cleaning machine are not far from being ready to sign off.  Did I mention that we are 'Gear Heads"?.

We are currently brewing twice a month and getting 4-6 kegs a shot.  We like to keep a light and a dark beer on tap all the time as well as a stout on our mixed gas faucet and soda water in our soda fountain.  You can often find a keg or two of hard cider hanging around the aging room during the spring and summer months.

The more beer we make the more popular we are with the expat community here in Shenzhen and Hong Kong.  Will be bringing 3 flavors to a party this weekend.  It is a good thing taxis are cheap and easy to find in this part of the world.

We try to brew weekly but lately it's been every other week, too many fall sports going on with the kids!

I schedule my brews at least 2 months out, or around my work schedule. some months I may brew 2 or 3 times and then not brew for a month or 2.

Ill brew 3 or 4 times in a month and that will hold me over for a couple of months.But if ya get something real good my friends keep showing up and drinking it.

I brew once a month ,double batches of IPA and porter,stouts,
And I brew double batches, I petty well got it down where between cleaning up equipment and mashing, and heating spare , it's a 10 hours day but I look at it this way it takes 6 hours to brew 10 gallons so I might as well to 20 gallons I can heat hlt, mash,sparge,boil while the other batch is doing it thing ,,,, it taken about 4 times to get it down but it work that I don't mind , beats paying high dollar or beer that you can find in your location that you want to drink, dont for get the Oxygen lol

I did 14 batches in 2011 (plus 1 wine kit).  I've done 3 so far this year and plan to brew tomorrow.
The holidays and super bowl really wiped me out.  It's so hard to get 3-4 months ahead.  I really think my beer is better after 90+ days in the bottle.

I've done 11 batches since late December.  I have ingredients for 4 more I had hoped to get done by now.  The incredible weather has kept me outside!

I'm probably going to increase my brew frequency since I've now learned how to harvest yeast from prior batches. What an easy process! definitely worth a look on Youtube.

I brew nearly every month a 20 liter batch.
In addition I am active with some wine making as well.

I brew a 5 gallon batch every Sunday morning after it warms up a bit in the winter months.
Can't lift 10 gallons to move it close enough to the indoor faucet.

10 gallon batch every other Sunday at the butt crack of dawn in the summer.
Sometimes I do a 5 gallon batch in between if I'm not camping or fishing or riding the motorcycle.  8)
My outdoor hose reaches my garage / man-cave where I conduct the enjoyable deed in the warmer months.

Gotta love making better beer than you can get at the bar or liquor store for under 40 cents a pint. :)

Beersmith is my best friend. Couldn't do so well without it.

Kevin J

cruland said:
If I had enough equipment I would brew every day.
That's the best answer yet!!
I'm with ya.
I have 25 gallons in 3 buckets and 2 carboys now. Also 2 full kegs that I just tapped yesterday!
Added new taps to my keggerator last night. Man what a difference from those plastic party taps.
I'm stoked to brew again but all of my storage facilities are full now.

Kevin J

I started brewing again after a couple years of just buying good beer. Prices are rising so I am back to where I was 20 years ago drinking a fine pint but being insulted at the pricing. I brewed my first batch in a while 8 days ago ( an all grain red ale )  and did a all grain porter yesterday. I see myself brewing weekly for a while until my kegs are full... I forgot how fun it is to brew.

I normally brew 2 to 3 times a month, sometimes more. I brew 10 gallon batches, all-grain. My wife and I have several family members and close friends that go through my beer as fast as I can brew it. Good problem to have, I suppose, as it forces me to brew more and hone my skills. Two temp controlled chest freezers (one for keg storage and one for fermenting), two kegerators (one for serving with 2 taps, and one for fermenting, and two fridges gives me plenty of space for having several kegs at the ready.

Every 2 to 3 weeks so far, need to find more drinkers to keep our stock under control.

If I had my druthers (gotta find out who sells those...) I'd brew at LEAST once a week. Not sure what I'd do with all the beer but I'm sure someone would figure that out for me!

Back