• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How to make stout creamy.??

A

Adamsale

I am thinking of making a stout, guinness style and was wondering how to second ferment. In the bottle with sugar or just bottle it.?? i dont have a keg or nitrogen so is it possible to get the creaminess without nitrogen.??? ??? ???

Hi,
  If you can, go all grain and use quite a bit of flaked barley.  It adds a lot of body to the beer.  I believe the recipe I use most of the time is in the samples directory that comes with BeerSmith.

Cheers,
Brad

Adamsale said:
I am thinking of making a stout, guinness style and was wondering how to second ferment. In the bottle with sugar or just bottle it.?? i dont have a keg or nitrogen so is it possible to get the creaminess without nitrogen.??? ??? ???
The creamy head comes from the nitrogen. If you add oats and some milk sugar (Lactose) it will help keep the head. But without the Nitrogen it wont be the same. As far as performing a secondary. If you leave it in the primary for an extra week, you could go straight to bottle. Otherwise I would say standard Secondary, then bottle.

Cheers
Preston

Hi Adamsale,  I hope this is along the same line of thought as your question. I once made a cream stout by adding some lactose to the batch and it turned out real smooth.
One beer that I know that uses lactose in their beer is Widmer Brothers Snow Plow (Milk Stout). If you can give Snow Plow a try, it might help with the creamy profile your looking for.
stevemwazup

you may try conditioning with light dme instead of corn sugar when you are bottling.

Thanks for the info...I am going to use raw barley and special grains crystal malt and roasted barley steeped. where do i add the flaked barley. ?? in the mash with the grains or withe the steep.??? and how much please for a 12l brew.
This will be my first all grain after months of good extract brewing.

I grind the flaked (barley, wheat, oats, etc.) in either the Magic Bullet or foodprocessor.  And put in mash.  If it's a small amount I just mash like usual. 

If it's a lot, like a wit I do with a fair amount of oats and barley, then I have done a adjunct mash at 100F for ten minutes and then take it up to the saach rest temp such as 154F. 

Back