• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBU additive?

nlane

Apprentice
Reaction score
I made a big calculation error in last week's batch and realized that I had enough gravity to split the batch into three (had planned to do 2). To make up for the hops, I was thinking about doing a boil of about a gallon and use it for makeup when I rack the three carboys. I set up the batch with the actual boil volume I used, batch size of 15 gallons, actual hop schedule, and got an IBU. I subract that from my target IBU and come up with what I think I need to make up. Then I run the numbers with a boil of gravity 1.00 and final gravity being my final target, and fool with the hops to get the IBU to equal my "makeup".

Will this work?

Hi,
  I'm not sure I followed your entire post, but yes in theory you should be able to boil some hops up and add it to the fermented beer.  Personally I would add a little dry malt extract to it since you get better hop extraction with a bit of malt.  Of course then you will need to let it ferment out again since you are adding wort to the beer.

Cheers!
Brad

Sorry my post was so cryptic, I was doing it from memory. Basic question really is; if I add the tea with 16 IBUs to wort with 35 IBUs, do I end up with 51 IBUs? I used bitterness tool, 15 gallon batch, 1.5 gal boil volume, OG 1.00, calculated 16 IBU. Main batch was 9.5 gal boil, OG 1.072, IBU 35.

If I knew I was tripling the recipe, I would have added 2.5 oz more hops. But the tea requires only one oz, with the same schedule of additions. Sounds like a way to save a lot of hops.

thanks
Norman

Back