• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Immersion elements

G

Greg

I have made up an all grain system using 2.4kw immersion element in the boiler (70ltr) I've done 2 single batches (25ltr) and both have a burnt bitter taste not extreme but bad enough, the first one I did is 6days into ferment and taste has eased a little.
Element is mounted through the side of the pot permanently with a thermostat with a range of 40c - 120c and I set it at 100c for a rolling boil.

The question is, do immersion elements burn the wort.

Everything in the system is either stainless, cooper and the mash tun is food grade plastic.
Water quality is good, all ingredients are of high quality and fresh.

This happened to me once with extract brewing and could never explain it, that was done on the stove in a 8ltr stainless pot.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!  ???

Extract I can see getting scotched to the bottom if you don't remove the heat and stir it in well but all grain mashed wort I can't see how it could happen unless its from the wort against the hot element.  How are you mashing the grain, some people use direct heat to bring the mash temp up and it can get scotched that way.

I've been reading on a few web pages that if you don't keep the wort moving when using an
immersion element that it will scorch the wort.

How true is this?

Greg,
  Its certainly possible - I know at one time immersion elements were popular (1970's and early 1980's) but most brewers abandoned them in part because of potential scorching/carmelization.  However, during that time plenty of people also made good beer so I really can't say how dramatic the effect is.

I would think an extract brew would be at much higher risk than an all grain brew, especially since you are doing an infusion mash.

This article on troubleshooting will give you some other possibilities for the bitterness.  I would take a look at those before you dump your immersion system.

Cheers,
Brad

Back