• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Ingredient List disappeared

DoranS

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had Beersmith open, while I was doing some surfing and IE crashed so bad I had to hard restart.  Now ingredients do not list in the recipe view.  And if I add a new ingredient, it doesn't show up either. I guess on the back end the recipe is still intact, because if I click preview brewsheet, it lists everything correctly.  Please help, I am brewing today and would like to tweek a recipe before heading to the LHBS.

Thanks in advance!

Doran

Hi,

In most cases this is caused by a corrupt "newopts14.opts" file.

By default BeerSmith is in the "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith" directory.

However under Vista you may also have a "Compatibility files" directory that shows up on the toolbar when you go to the BeerSmith directory.  This is where your data and the opts file likely lives.  The full path to the compatibility diectory is:  C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith

where USERNAME is your login name for Vista.

If you delete the newopts14.opts directory there you should be in business.  However if that does not work there is also a patch available here:

http://beersmith.com/beersmith_patch.zip

Its a zipped version of the executable only, so you need to extract it and put it in your BeerSmith folder (and the compatibility folder) to replace the existing executable.

Let me know if you have continued problems!  So far we've had no one lose any data and I've been able to get everyone back up and running quickly.

Cheers,
Brad

Hi,

I also have this problem following a crash. I tried deleting the newopts14 file, but that didn't work
I then tried the patch, but that didn't work either. It said that it could not find folder or file "S" It also suggested that it might be a network problem, but it failed to auto diagnose that problem

I'm using Vista Home Basic.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions what to try next.

PS I also have tried a system restore to no avail.

Hi,
  My suggestion is to make a full backup copy of your BeerSmith directory (and compatability directory under it if you are running as a non-admin).  Next install BeerSmith, but put it in a different location when installing such as your "My Documents" directory.  Lastly, you can open up the Recipes.bsm and other files from your backup to copy/paste any recipes you need to move into the new install.

Brad

I deleted the newoopts file.  No dice
I installed the patch.  No dice
I reinstalled.  No dice.
So I should install in a different location now?

Okay.  Installed to BeerSmith2 folder.  The trial version has expired and will not accept my license code.  Do I have to buy another license?

No,
  Just email your name and email you used to me and I should be able to look up your registration code.

Brad

Back