• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Inventory Question

mpilchuk

Apprentice
Reaction score
When I am done with a session. How do I close it out (if necessary)?

When does the inventory get adjusted?

I have a brewing session open and the inventory is not adjusted as I look at it so I assume that I have to tell the system the recipe is done, No?

When you are done with a brew session, you close the recipe and the information is saved.  If you do not want to save the information from a session, you can exit the recipe by hitting 'cancel' and the information recorded from opening or last saving the recipe will be erased.

Inventory gets adjusted when the user clicks on 'remove inv' on the tool bar with the recipe open.  It is a manual removal of the recipe ingredients from the inventory.  If you have clicked to remove the ingredients from inventory for an open recipe and attempt to 'remove inv' again, the program will advise you that that function has already been done and give you the option of removing those items from inventory anyway.  Once you close the recipe, if you reopen that same recipe and 'remove inv' again, the program will do so without flagging that the 'remove inv' has already been performed on that recipe.

I also notice that while my inventory list has ingredients in it with all the data, if I open up a recipe, the inventory is 0.00 on most of the ingredients even the ones that I know have inventory in the inventory window. I would like to see if I have all of the ingredients for a specific recipe when I look at it. Did I forget to click on something ?

I would double check to make sure that the ingredient in the recipe is exactly what you have in your inventory.  The easiest way to do this from the recipe is to click to highlight one of the items and then click on 'substitute' to the right of the design window.  Now, in the search box, start typing in the name of the ingredient you highlighted.  With each letter/number typed, the list should shorten so you can see a list of like named ingredients.  Click on the one that shows an inventory amount.

Sometimes there are ingredients which are close in name or are the same ingredient with different manufacturers.  I trip myself up sometimes with chocolate malt, since I use Muntons but there are others listed that I add to the recipe because they come up and I don't pay attention to which malt house it is from when I click to add it.

Again, Great info. You hit it on the head.

It takes a bit of time to get used to a new software package. The simple guidance you gave me is very hard to communicate in a manual.

The more I learn about BS, the more I like it. I'm running Beer Alchemy at the same time on a single recipe just to make sure I don't go into left field with BS. Never used BS earlier versions so I am learning from scratch.

Glad it helped.  BS has a pretty steep learning curve at first.  The good thing is that once you have your system well defined (equipment profile), it becomes very accurate in predicting your brew results.  I do have to admit that the inventory function is one that I do not use well; keeping my inventory figures instead on a separate spreadsheet. 

I've messed up my inventory by unwittingly removing it more than once and BS3 will do it more than once, it will prompt you first but it will do it.  I WISH it would only remove ingredients that had NOT been removed once already. BUT, there is a little memory jog. In the My Recipes window, right click in one of the column headings and select Customize Column's and in the window that opens look for the field called "Last Remove Inv", select it and then select Add.  Now you can at least SEE if you've already removed inventory and avoid doing it again.  As far as I can see, there's no way to remove one selected ingredient, so for instance in a cider, you balance at bottling with 100g of Malic acid and backsweeten with 75g of Blue Agave and those numbers are put in weeks later, there is no way to remove them without removing all the other ingredients again also.

Back