• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Keg not carbinating

DRAT1969

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey gang, so a couple weeks ago we kegged a Black IPA with ABV of ~6.7.

I have a Keezer I built during the pandemic, and it just so happens after legging and setting the pressure to 20PSI my tempeture controller failed open, allowing the freezer to do its thing. Yup, frozen keg!

Whelp, take the keg out, let it thaw, and replace the controller (fortunately I have a spare courtesy of the mini frrdge I use as a "fermenting chamber"). Trouble is I'm going on two weeks under constant 20PSI and it's not carbornating. I can purge the keg and hear CO2 filling so it's getting the gas.

What am I missing?

Not sure - do you have it stored cold (fridge) while applying the 20 PSI as that should be more than enough to carbonate it. I only run my keg system at about 12-13 psi at regular fridge temps.

Not sure - do you have it stored cold (fridge) while applying the 20 PSI as that should be more than enough to carbonate it. I only run my keg system at about 12-13 psi at regular fridge temps.
Thanks for the reply! Yes I have my keezer targetting 40 degrees and I agree that this is unusual in my experience as well. At 20psi it should be carbed after 48-72 hours.

I've never had a keg freeze and that's the obvious variable. I'm tempted to place the keg outside the keezer and see if warming up the keg would help.

Well, I'm happy to report that placing the keg outside the keezer and under 20psi for a couple days, the beer is now suitably carbonated (maybe a bit over but no bother 😂).

I am guessing that it may have remained partially frozen when I first put it back in the keezer.

In any event, another new experience to add to my collection. Thanks for the help!

Back