• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kegging, add sugar or not?

K&H brews

New Forum Member
Reaction score
So I have done much "Googling" with mixed results. When I keg should I or should I not add priming sugars? I have made an excellent lager and did not add sugar. I now have a Koelsch in the keg and have been wondering if I should have added sugar or not. What are the pros/cons?

Adding sugar to the keg is usually done in the absence of using CO2 for carbonation. If you have a CO2 tank and regulator and use that to carbonate you won't need to add sugar. If you don't have a CO2 system hooked up then you will need to add priming sugar or your Koelsch is going to stay pretty flat.

Upvote 0
Adding sugar to the keg is usually done in the absence of using CO2 for carbonation. If you have a CO2 tank and regulator and use that to carbonate you won't need to add sugar. If you don't have a CO2 system hooked up then you will need to add priming sugar or your Koelsch is going to stay pretty flat.
That is what I had been thinking also.
However, I also do some keg-to-bottle with a The Last Straw bottle filler, works great by the way, will my beer once bottled stay carbonated throughout it's storage?

Upvote 0
I use the Tapcooler counter pressure bottle filler to fill from my keezer. I bottled a bunch for a family reunion last June and had a couple left over that I stashed away... six months later I discovered a local competition and submitted two of those bottles. It scored 41 total points which is considered excellent by BJCP standards. So yes, if bottled properly they should stay carbonated.

Upvote 0
Back