• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

kit not clearing

R

rawfish111

Recently went back to kit brewing as i rarely have time to do a full mash anymore, using a tom caxton kit i replaced the sugar with malt extract for a better flavour as i always used to do.
After the initial fermentation i primed my keg and left for the secondary fermentation, then gave clearing time of around 3weeks, after this the beer was still cloudy so i left it for a further 6 weeks and it was still cloudy, so i tried some finings and left for a further 4 weeks and the beer is still cloudy!
I am loathed to throw away good beer anyone any ideas? ???........................ apart from drinking the stuff anyhow and stocking up on toilet roll!

Hi,
  Cloudiness is typically either yeast or protein (and other) haze.  Given the amount of time, I would say it is the latter.  I've had some luck with using polyclar to clear beers in the past.  Its sold at most homebrew stores, and you can likely add it to your keg if you are careful and quickly repressurize it after doing so.  Other than that, aging at cold temperature will help it to clear over time.

An obvious question - does it taste bad, or does it taste fine but just have some haze?

Cheers!
Brad

tastes ok,nice and nutty but definate yeast tang , cheers

Back