• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

kolsch question

M

mcgsmanor

I have asked about, and want to get as much advice as possible.  I was going to brew a kolsch today, but was advised to make a starter first.  I thought that I could brew it and ferment as normal (which is what the bottle of white labs yeast says), and then cool it down in the secondary.  I really want to have this turn out, so if I need to make a starter, that's what I'll do, but is that absolutely neccessary?  Thanks!

We just did a Kolsch that is just coming out of the primary today and we made a quart starter abt 5:00am on brew day when we brewed about 2:00pm.  The fermentation took off within 4 hours and went like gangbusters for 3 days before slowing.  I would recommend the starter just to get things going.

I made a starter so I put off the kolsch, but with ten minutes left in the boil I knocked the starter off my counter and it shattered all over the place.  I quickly hydrated some regular munton's yeast and pitched it, but I am thinking the kolsch is now just beer.  It is in the secondary now, and should be bottled in about a week or two.  Ah well, such is life.

mcgsmanor said:
I made a starter so I put off the kolsch, but with ten minutes left in the boil I knocked the starter off my counter and it shattered all over the place.  I quickly hydrated some regular munton's yeast and pitched it, but I am thinking the kolsch is now just beer.  It is in the secondary now, and should be bottled in about a week or two.  Ah well, such is life.

And I bet it will be good beer.  Are you going to cold crash it?

I did so to clear my Kolsch.  I took it down into the 30's for a couple of days.  It cleared very nicely.

Right now it is in my basement at about 62, but I plan to put it on the floor (50ish) and then maybe even move it to the porch for a night (I live in MN, so I am planning by the forecast).

Back