• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lager fermentation

Auldyin

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I have just made a Mexican Cervasa. Used American lager Yyeast 2035 pitched at 21C and allowed to begin fermentation (bubbles).
Transferred to the fridge where it is held at a constant 12C. How long should this be in the fridge at this temperature? There are no real signs of fermentation activity?
Thanks

Check the gravity a few days in a row, if it is down around where the expected FG is and it doesn't change then it's done

I will typically watch my airlock carefully - particularly after the first week. Once the bubbles begin to slow, I actually begin to time the bubble with a stopwatch. When the bubbles get to about a 60 second span, I'll check the SG, it should be close to predicted. Wait a day or two and check again.  Make sure it is steady and not changing for several days.  Then I turn off the fridge, open the door and let my brew warm up for the diasetyl rest for about 3 days.  Then move on to the next stepped in your process.

Hope this helps.

Back