• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lager style beers with Ale Yeast

brewmoreblack

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is it possible to brew Lager style beers (Pilsners, Bocks, Schwazbier, etc) using clean Ale Yeast instead of Lager yeasts? im not looking to make anything to put in a competition, just for drink-a-bility.  I have no means of being able to Lager ferment, and because so, I am limited in what I can and cannot brew.

Ive read that it is possible to use lager yeasts, and ferment at room temps and still make very good beer (according to Charlie Papazians' book), but you will not have the "smoothness" of the lagering at cooler temps.

Which would be better I guess im asking, Lager yeast at room temp (68F), or using Ale Yeast.

Thanks

Sounds like you want a California ale. WLP001. Granted it is not a lager, but I have used it with good success. If you can keep the fermenter in the mid to upper 60's a good choice would be a California Lager (Wyeast 2112). I have yet to try the 2112 but John Palmer recommends it. http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter19-4.html
Cheers

Preston

so they are "drinkable" using Cal Ale WLP001 in like a pilsner for instance?
Tyler N. / brewmoreblack
WLP001 is not a lager so you wont get the same effect as a lager, but you will get good well attenuated, highly flocculated, clean, beer. If you want a lager and can keep the beer in the mid to upper 60's I would go with the California Lager. If you can put the fermenter in a water bath, Put an old t-shirt over it and then put a fan on it. You can get 7 to 10 deg lower using this alone. It makes a difference...

Cheers

Preston

UselessBrewing said:
so they are "drinkable" using Cal Ale WLP001 in like a pilsner for instance?
Tyler N. / brewmoreblack
WLP001 is not a lager so you wont get the same effect as a lager, but you will get good well attenuated, highly flocculated, clean, beer. If you want a lager and can keep the beer in the mid to upper 60's I would go with the California Lager. If you can put the fermenter in a water bath, Put an old t-shirt over it and then put a fan on it. You can get 7 to 10 deg lower using this alone. It makes a difference...

Cheers

Preston

The water bath, and a wet towel wrapped around the carboy, with frozen water bottles thrown in the water twice daily, is my normal process for all beers I do. Usually keeps in the uppper 60's range. Ill try the cal common yeast next time and see how it does.

Thanks!

Use Nottingham, and keep fermenting temps in the lower 60s. I find that Nottingham ferments clean, and attenuates really well at these temps. It actually takes a bit longer to ferment out. Use techniques above to keep fermentation temps down. Or, build an insulated box and cool with frozen water bottles.

Brew on,
jeff

Back