• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

LaMotte Test Kit values conversion for BeerSmith

slapnik

New Forum Member
Reaction score
So I have this water test kit which enables me to test for the following in my water:
  • Chloride
  • Sulfate
  • Alkalinity (as CaCO3)
  • Total Hardness
  • Calcium Hardness
  • Sodium by calculation
However, when I go into BeerSmith to create a water profile it expects the following values to be entered:
  • Calcium
  • Magnesium
  • Sodium (got it)
  • Sulfate
  • Chloride (got it)
  • Bicarbonate
So my test kit only gives me values for Sodium and Chloride. Is it possible to determine the rest of the values expected by BeerSmith by calculation using the values I get from my test kit? What am I missing here?

To get the rest of the values, you need to convert from the molecular weight of the hardness values (Calcium as CaCO3) or Magnesium (total hardness - calcium hardness). The conversion is pretty simple

To get Ca++ from hardness as Calcium carbonate, multiply the hardness value by 0.4

To get Mg++ from [total hardness - Calcium hardness], multiply the value by 0.24

Sulfate is the straight reading from the kit

Bicarbonate: enter your value for total hardness and adjust it to get the residual alkalinity value to match your test result. This one is variable because it also depends upon the amount of Ca and Mg in your water but using the total hardness will get you close enough so that your adjustments should be small.

Thank you so much for this! A few questions to make sure I'm clear:

Do these formulas assume all my derived values are CaCO3 ppm? (because they are)

I also mis-typed something above. I have Sulfate but I do NOT have a value for Sodium. Is there a calculation to get Sodium?

Also, is it possible to get a negative value for Mg++? My Total Hardness was 40 CaCO3 ppm and Calcium Hardness was 60 CaCO3 ppm. Is this possible or maybe I didn't run this test properly?

Wait, scratch the question about Sodium, I have that formula in the Test Kit, just forgot about it.

So check my Math/Thinking as I derive things from my test values, which are:

• Chloride = 60 ppm
  • Sulfate = 0 ppm
  • Alkalinity = 100 CaCO3 ppm
  • Total Hardness = 40 CaCO3 ppm
  • Calcium Hardness = 60 CaCO3 ppm
Given these values, are these calculations correct?
  • Magnesium = (40 - 60) x .24 = -4.8
  • Sodium = 67.022 (per formula in test kit)
  • Bicarbonate = Alkalinity x 1.22 = 122
  • Calcium = 60 x .4 = 24

Your Calcium hardness should not be higher than your total hardness. I would recommend that you take another test or check your figures. The calculation from bicarbonate from Alkalinity is OK, but check the residual alkalinity value calculated by BeerSmith against your tested value.

Back