• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Late Extract Method

barleypopmaker

Apprentice
Reaction score
I use the late extract addition method. I know this effects the hop utilization but I am not sure how to adjust this in Beersmith. Basically I add 1lb of DME or my adjunct sugar at the beginning of the boil and the bulk of my extract during the last 15 min of the boil. Any Ideas on what type of adjustments I can make?  

I would love to see more control over when the fermentables are added (honey, sugar, etc) as well as which are not fermentable (don't add to the AA%.)
To work it out, though, just set up your recipe, then make your extract amounts "zero." Note the IBU calculations for the first part of the boil (before the extract goes in.) Add back your extract amounts, and add the first IBU numbers to those showing after you put the extract in.
IOW, If you have a 60m, 20m, and 5m addition, and you add extract for the last 10m, make your extract "zero" and note that at 60m you have 30 IBU's Challenger, and at 20m you have 10 IBU's Cascade. Put the extract amount back, and ignore the first two IBU's and add to the "40" however many 5m IBU's you have, in this case 4 IBU's of Cascade. Consider your IBU's 44, even though BS says 32. Down in the notes section, record it till Brad gets a fix. (HINT!) :p

Yes,
 This has been at the top of my "to do" list for some time.  I want to add an "extract boil time" option to allow you to specify how long the extract or sugar has been boiled.  This would factor into all of the IBU calculations and allow for late extract additions.

I'm working on it...

Brad

I am interested in purchasing this program when the late extract addition to the program is added.  I know it is at the top of your list but are we talking about weeks, months or more to get this added.

Edit:  I went earlier in this forum and found the solution.  You mentioned in a previous post that there was a place to add the extract after the boil was done.  Most late extract brewers I know, add the bulk of the extract after flameout, not in the last 15 minutes of boil,  which would make the hops equation correct in your program because in this case "late addition"  is really "after boil addtion".  Am I thinking correctly?

Yes,
 You are correct.  If you add the extract after flameout, then it does not change the bitterness of the brew (which is the main change that is needed for late additions).

Checking the "add after boil" should work in this case.

Brad

Back