• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lauter Tun Deadspace amount modifies Total Mash Water amount?

abstract

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been playing with Beersmith for the first time after using Promash for years and am noticing a modification being made automatically that is confusing.  When I compensate for the 1.32 gallons left in the mash tun on my pilot system it adds the loss amount to the Total Mash Water amount.  The Total Mash Water is based on the qts water/per pound ratio and should not be modified to maintain the preferred ratio......  This is a loss that should be dealt with in the Sparge amount.....if I am not mistaken.  Not the Mash amount.  Thoughts?

If you don't want BS to update total mash water needed then go to your Mash Details tab and uncheck the Adjust Mash for Deadspace check box.

Mark

Is this a BS 2 option only?  Where do I find it in 1.4?

Just to further the discussion, deadspace water does not affect mash thickness IMO, so I would want to have my water needed adjusted for deadspace at dough in, not at sparge so that mash thickness targets are achieved. Kudos to BS for allowing this to be configurable ... (at least somewhere!)

Dan

Back