• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Leaf Hops & Wort Absorption

Y

Youlovesit

Guys,

Great software. :)  Yesterday I brewed using a lot of leaf hops - I missed my fermeter volume by quite a bit - looked like the hops had absorbed a lot of wort. :'(

Is there any way I can automatically make an allowance for this 'wort absorption' in Beersmith?

Thanks.

Yes, there is a "Lost to boil trub and chiller" field in the equipment set up. If you lost a half gallon you can input that here and BS will automatically increase the starting water to compensate. Unfortunately you will then miss your OG as it does not take this extra water into account when calculating the OG.

Joe

Thanks Joe, ;D

I was aware of that feature (and use it) but what I was after was a checkbox or something that 'automatically' works out the loss for me.

Everytime I brew the amount of wort I will loose to the leaf hops changes, but I don't know what it changes to, because it changes with the amount of hops I use...

Makes sense?

Back