• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Licensing Question

A

AlwaysBulkin

I have a question regarding licensing.  I have 2 computers, one at home and one at work.  The one at home is obviously the one that I use BeerSmith on for my brewing.  I would like to have BeerSmith on my one at work as well so I can come up with recipes, etc. while "working".  ;)  Does the licensing allow me to install the application on 2 computers or do I need to purchase a second license?

Hi,
 We have recently changed our policy to allow for one owner to install on two computers as long as both copies are for the owner's personal use (and not for use by another person).  In this case you should be fine as long as you limit yourself to the two computers you  are personally using.

We do track key usage to monitor large scale key abuse, so please don't share your key with friends or other people.

Cheers!
Brad

Don't worry about that with me.  I'm a software developer myself, so I'm very particular when following license agreements. Thanks for the info!

Just wondering on the licensing note,

Do you have any problems with running a copy of beersmith from a thumbdrive to use on multiple PC's?  I do it this way so its easier to keep track of my inventory and I dont have to worry about copying recipes between different machines

Cheers ausdb

Wow, excellent idea.  I'm interested in this answer as well.

I have to ask - how many PC's are we talking about here?

We have relaxed the requirement to two PC's (for example your laptop and desktop computer) which sounds reasonable to me.  If you want to use a thumb drive to maintain inventory/recipes between two computers I have no problem with that.

I do have concerns with running it on a larger number of PC's as it then becomes very difficult to distinguish who is using the product legitimately and who may have obtained a key illigitimately.

Also I think two is a reasonable number from a use perspective - perhaps you use a laptop on brew day but build most of your recipes on your desktop.

If you are in a larger organization (perhaps a brew pub) I don't think it is too unreasonable to purchase additional $20 copies to cover a third or fourth computer.

Cheers!
Brad

I need it on 2 - one home computer and one work computer.  I normally build recipes at work  ::), but then need the recipe and all other information on my computer at home.  The jumpdrive is a great idea in my opinion so you can easily transfer the data between the 2 computers without any backup/restore methods.

As I mentioned, 2 is good with me!

Brad

Two computers is a good number.

My question concerning a thumbdrive is can I install the program onto the thumbdrive and no matter what computer I'm using run it from the thumbdrive?

In effect it would not be installed on a computer but usable on any computer I happen to have access to.

Back