• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Limit on Yeast Starter Cell Count Calculation

umrmepe

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is there a limit on the number of cells calculated based on the starter size? For example: The yeast starter tab recommends a 2.28 liter starter, but when I input a 2.5 liter starter the cells calculated value (107.2 Billion) is less than the cells required (221.8 Billion), if I change the volume to 3 liter, the cells calculated value does not change even when I check/uncheck the stir plate box (to refresh calculation). The yeast package date is approximately 6 months older than the brew date and I have checked to make sure these values are being used.

What you start with, in terms of yeast, limits the end cell count. It's not really a case of just increasing the volume of starter wort. You probably need to do a step-up starter or add more than one pack of yeast.

Upvote 0
There is a limit to growth that applies here - generally around 5x the starting cell count. So even if there is a lot of wort, you won't get much more than 5-6x growth in a single generation of yeast. Yes you can do an extended starter which will eventually ferment out (over several yeast generations) but that's not the goal for a starter where you want a large volume of health active yeast.

So you then either need a two stage starter (two generations of yeast done sequentially) or you need to pitch more yeast up front.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the answer. That is what I had assumed. I am still getting used to yeast manufacturers using a "Best By" date versus a "Packaged By" date. I have been using a date of 6 months prior to the "Best By" date to set up the yeast starter tab.

Upvote 0
That is probably a good estimate for liquid yeast - most have a 6 month shelf life.

Upvote 0
Back