• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Linux - crashes if my profile (.beersmith2 folder) exists

lparsons

Apprentice
Reaction score
The first time I start the software (with no `.beersmith2` folder, the software starts fine. However, if I quit and go back in, it crashes:

```
lparsons@lparsons-Precision-5520:~$ beersmith2
21:31:44: SLib::Init - logging started
21:31:44: GetDocumentsDir() returning: /home/lparsons/.beersmith2/

(beersmith2:8166): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion 'width >= -1' failed

(beersmith2:8166): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_size_request: assertion 'width >= -1' failed
openjdk version "1.8.0_121"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121-8u121-b13-0ubuntu1.16.04.2-b13)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.121-b13, mixed mode)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
```

I'm not sure if there are more detailed logs to check on. I'm using Ubuntu 16.04. I'd be happy to help debug.

I'm still running into this issue. It seems to happen if I use my activation code (it's an old upgrade code from 1.0 to 2.0). Would perhaps getting a new code fix this issue?

Just wondering if there is any hope of fixing this, or I should just abandon BeerSmith2 on Linux (at least Ubuntu 16.04)?

lparsons said:
Just wondering if there is any hope of fixing this, or I should just abandon BeerSmith2 on Linux (at least Ubuntu 16.04)?

Linux version is probably the least polished to be honest its because Linux keeps updating shit and breaking the program.

I'm happy to help debug and even fix things. Is there a way to get debug output? Perhaps a debug build or something?

I have substantially the same issue with Linux Mint 18.2 (based on Ubuntu 16.04), but the issue started only recently (Oct-Nov). Is this a damaged profile somehow? Has a pushed-down update broken something. This is the first serious issue I've encountered with the software under Linux in 18 months.

I'm happy to help debug and even fix things. Is there a way to get debug output? Perhaps a debug build or something?

Ditto!

I have used the software back to the original beta days.

This is the only real issue I have had that keeps me from using the software.

I

My attempt to do a gdb trace points to a possible problem thread:

1 ../sysdeps/x86_64/dl-procinfo.c: No such file or directory.

Wondering if Brad has thought about offering a flatpak binary version of beersmith2? Seems like that way the development model would have less issues about changing dependencies: it would run the software in a sandbox and isolate it from the rest of the system.

Could be related to this issue http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,18097.msg67270.html#msg67270.
Pasted a core dump there.

Back