• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Linux version

Epipsychidion

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly thanks for making such a great piece of software - I love it! I have a question in regards to the linux version - currently it's only available as a .deb file, and whilst I have converted and installed previously on non Debian based versions I was wondering if a Flatpak version had been considered as then you could generate one version that would be linux platform agnostic.

Once again thanks for everything!

I do not have plans to launch the current version in another package, but I will be looking at it for a future release.

Upvote 0
It will be great if Linux version will be available from some repo. I propsed creating apt repo some time ago since it looks rather easy when you have deb packages ready, but now I think adding into snap or flatpak will be better option since it will be distro independent.

Upvote 0
I am considering switching my laptop from windows to Linux. I'll format the hard drive and start clean.
Which version of Linux is best, considering that I intend to use this device only for beersmith?
If I make a backup from the windows version first, will the Linux version be able to update from that backup file?

Upvote 0
Hi JKrehbiel,

Currently only Ubuntu variants are directly supported I believe, so any of those would work fine for you. Personally I'm fond of Pop!_OS, but pretty much any Ubuntu derivative should work.

Upvote 0
Yes I would pick a Ubuntu variant as the downloads are on the main BeerSmith download page.
Once you start thinking outside of the square things get interesting though.... I'm running Fedora currently, but have set up a Ubuntu 22.04 container through Distrobox and this is how I am running Beersmith without any issues this far.....

Upvote 0
Back