• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

LOOKING FOR BASIC BRITTISH ISLES RECIPES

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Morning all, I am looking for a website that gives basic ingredient lists for various styles of ale.
My homebrew club, Main Street Homebrewers, wants me to come up with a recipe that will be given to members to make.
These quarterly projects are a fun way to see how the same recipe can change just because of equipment, brewer and the magic of brewing.
I have tons of recipes of my own making, but I am looking for an exact ingredient format.
Anyone know where I can find such a place? ;)

Check out Ron Pattinson's blog Shut Up About Barclay Perkins http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/. It's well researched. He digs through the surviving brewing logs of late 19th and early 20th century British breweries. He debunks a lot of myths and lore about British brewing. One of only a handful of real beer archeologists, IMO.

He also has several books available.

Looks interesting! Thanks for the link, Beerfun!
Just put this one together for a basic bitter.

Attachments

• BASIC BEST BITTER.pdf
    116.7 KB · Views: 13
I second Shut Up About Barclay Perkins. I just checked my Beersmith recipe folders and I have 197 saved recipes from Ron's blog and books. On his blog btw he posts two recipes each week... on Wednesday and Saturday. His made his name writing about UK breweries and beers but he also branches out from time to time like now. He is currently delving deeply into German beer.

Ron has a book which is a must have imho called the Homebrewer's Guide to Vintage Beer. Short, succinct histories and overviews of all UK styles and loaded with recipes.

I second Shut Up About Barclay Perkins. I just checked my Beersmith recipe folders and I have 197 saved recipes from Ron's blog and books. On his blog btw he posts two recipes each week... on Wednesday and Saturday. His made his name writing about UK breweries and beers but he also branches out from time to time like now. He is currently delving deeply into German beer.

Ron has a book which is a must have imho called the Homebrewer's Guide to Vintage Beer. Short, succinct histories and overviews of all UK styles and loaded with recipes.
Absolutely, Ron's blog and books are treasure troves for any beer enthusiast or homebrewer.

I second Shut Up About Barclay Perkins. I just checked my Beersmith recipe folders and I have 197 saved recipes from Ron's blog and books. On his blog btw he posts two recipes each week... on Wednesday and Saturday. His made his name writing about UK breweries and beers but he also branches out from time to time like now. He is currently delving deeply into German beer. https://piktid.com/productid-ai-background-generator/

Ron has a book which is a must have imho called the Homebrewer's Guide to Vintage Beer. Short, succinct histories and overviews of all UK styles and loaded with recipes. https://eldfall-chronicles.com/product-category/miniatures/class/mage/
Absolutely, Ron's blog and books are treasure troves for any beer enthusiast or homebrewer.

Back