• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lost all my Data

zaco

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey I am a new user to Beersmith 3 and when I opened the application today all of my saved recipes and other data was gone, I was back to only the default data. I tried various recovery steps mentioned in other threads such as restoring the backup or switching the location of the documents directory. But these things did not work. I am wondering if the issues is that I hadn't quit the app since activation of my license and maybe because I had entered my cloud account login, but never set anything to save, it might have caused some hiccup thinking it was supposed to cloud save instead of local. I don't know. Just really upset that this app ate all my data after only a couple weeks of use.

The Beersmith3 folder has so many files I am not ready to start grepping through them to find my recipe data, but I really want to recover all my logged fermentation measurements. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to properly store data so this doesn't happen again, from the support forum I get the impression this is common.

Edit: OK, I grep'd around and found the Archive folder has some of the information, is there an easy way to re-import this?

First, Brad's blog on how to recover files which are lost:  https://beersmith.com/blog/2018/09/14/how-to-back-up-and-recover-data-in-beersmith-3/

Second, download and install the latest version of BS 3: https://beersmith.com/blog/2020/06/11/beersmith-3-1-new-update-features/.  This version changes the file storage routines within the program.  Formerly, the program would do all the file back-ups and archiving when the user closed the program.  This was run as a subroutine in the background, which meant that if the computer was turned off or restarted in the middle of the back-up process, your most recent files would be lost.  This latest change does incremental backups to make the process faster when the program is shut down and to prevent such data losses.

Second, download and install the latest version of BS 3: https://beersmith.com/blog/2020/06/11/beersmith-3-1-new-update-features/.  This version changes the file storage routines within the program.  Formerly, the program would do all the file back-ups and archiving when the user closed the program.  This was run as a subroutine in the background, which meant that if the computer was turned off or restarted in the middle of the back-up process, your most recent files would be lost.  This latest change does incremental backups to make the process faster when the program is shut down and to prevent such data losses.

I was suspecting that this was the save behavior when I saw a progress bar come up after quitting the program.  But, the quit wasn't interrupted and I am already running version 3.1.07; as I said, I am a new user in the last couple weeks. Maybe the save behavior is platform specific (I am on Mac OS 10.12)? I still am guessing that my issue was caused by putting my cloud login info into the preferences; although I haven't figured out how it handles cloud sync yet it feels like the kind of thing where a blank cloud data store overwrote the local one. But that's just a wild guess.

Thanks for the link to the blog post, that has some great details. I was able to recover all my recipes with session data, but I still lost my inventory list (though I brewed through it all this week anyway  8) ).

Back