• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Low mash in temperature

kw642

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Currently attempting my first 10 gallon batch (recipe is attached).  I started mashing in at 154F but by the time I got the mash tun sealed it was at 143F.  I've never been below 151F.  What issues come with low mash in temperatures?

Attachments

• Pay'n Opossum.bsmx
    20.7 KB · Views: 1
Were you able to boost the temperature? In my opinion, low mash temperatures are better than too high. 143? is not where I would want my mash however and I would find a way to raise it to meet your target. If this is where your mash stayed it is likely you could have poor starch conversion and a watery beer. It's also possible that you had some stratification in your mash with varying bands and pockets of temperature differences. Either one of your readings could not have been completely accurate with your actual mash bed temp being somewhere in between.

Bottom line, stir your mash well at dough in and take temp readings in several places. If you see wild fluctuations, stir some more. If you missed your target mash temp too low, have some boiling water on hand to mix in and raise the temp. If it's too low, use cold water. As the boy scouts say: be prepared. ;)

Let this beer finish out. At worst it will be an experiment on the affects of low mash temperatures. At best it could turn out to be a thoroughly refreshing lawnmower beer that your friends will rave about.

I am with Kevin58 on preferring to be too low rather than too high. 

Enzyme activity is still going on, just at a lower pace.  Plus you were below the accepted gelatinization temperature of the barley, so I am not sure how your efficiency will come out.  I brew some pilsners at pretty low mash temperatures to achieve higher fermentiability.and will give it a longer mash time to compensate for the lower temperature and being on the edge of the barley starch gelatinization temperatures.

Being off that far, I probably would have added a bit of the hot sparge water or pulled a bit of the mash and heated it up to add it back in to bring the mash temperature up to at least above 147 F (64C).  While not ideal, it is a quick way to get yourself back in line with intended design.

Thanks.  Unfortunately I had to go ahead with it before reading this.  Just had a taste while sparging and I can tell it?s going to be a watery beer.  My last watery beer was very popular among my neighbours as you suggested.  Just starting the boil...is there anything I can do here to improve flavour?  Maybe dry hop?

Also, I ended up steeping for 90 minutes.  Maybe that helped a bit?

Back