• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mac (Catalina) 3.2 update not working with dark mode

bump!

i'm on macOS monterey.  and it's just a horrible experience to try and read anything  :-[

Dark mode still has issues with Monterey 12.0.1. BeerSmith 3 will often lock up and require restarting.

The only work-around I've found (Monterey 12.0.1) is to go into your system preferences and force light mode when you're working on BS3. In the BS3 prefs, select "Look and Feel" and select "Grey" under color scheme. At that point (if you have forced light mode in your system prefs), it will resemble the classic BeerSmith look. However, you have to change your system prefs back and forth if you want dark mode in other apps.

It turns out that to fix this I needed a major infrastructure rework which is underway now. Unfortunately the Mac dark mode conflicts with many of the custom controls used in BeerSmith 2 and 3, and a number of quick fixes I tried failed. So I’m reworking a lot of the graphics engine as well as the entire storage system (will now be an SQL database) for the next release.

It turns out that to fix this I needed a major infrastructure rework which is underway now. Unfortunately the Mac dark mode conflicts with many of the custom controls used in BeerSmith 2 and 3, and a number of quick fixes I tried failed. So I’m reworking a lot of the graphics engine as well as the entire storage system (will now be an SQL database) for the next release.
Brad, any updates? I really want to keep using Beersmith, but this is making it hard to use.

If you keep it in light mode it works fine. The fix is really the next update I'm working on which is a pretty substantial rewrite as it has not only the graphical fixes, but a true database base and tighter cloud-desktop integration. It is about 2/3 done but won't be out until next year.

Brad

For me light mode doesn't change the slowness when typing text. Maybe I'll type the text outside of BS and copy/paste. This is the only application I've ever had to change from dark mode in system preferences.

I look forward to the fix.

I'm still cranking away at the next significant update which will address this problem. I'm hoping to release it in the Spring.

Back