• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mac OS Sonoma 14.0

CameronMWC

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

Having issues with Beersmith 3 now that I've upgraded my Mac to the Sonoma operating system (14.0). Curious if anyone else was having this issue or if a new version of Beersmith was coming to help fix this. Thanks!

Can you tell me what the issues are and are you running the very latest build (from the BeerSmith.com download page - 3.2.8 I think)?

There are known issues such as dark mode which have workarounds.

Upvote 0
Ah that fixed it! I was running 3.2.7 still and thought that was the most recent, not 3.2.8. Downloaded that one and we're good to go now. Thanks!

Upvote 0
That's good. Please make sure your OSX General settings are in light mode (not dark or mixed) as dark mode is still causing issues. I'm working on a fairly major revision to address dark mode as well as the low resolution icons on some Mac systems.

Upvote 0
The only version I see on the Beersmith Download page is 3.2.7. I upgraded to Mac OS Sonoma last week and every time I try to open Beersmith it says that there is another copy running and will not allow me to open another copy. I tried using the link on the Download page to download for Mac OS again, but it appears to only be 3.2.7 and it did not fix the problem. Is there a link to 3.2.8 that I am missing somewhere? I have confirmed that I am using the light mode and not the dark mode also. Thanks!

Upvote 0
So I clicked on the 3.2.7 link yesterday when I downloaded, but then when I went into my downloaded files option on Google Chrome it showed it as 3.2.8 (see screenshot below). Hope that helps!1696266613288.png

Upvote 0
So I clicked on the 3.2.7 link yesterday when I downloaded, but then when I went into my downloaded files option on Google Chrome it showed it as 3.2.8 (see screenshot below). Hope that helps!View attachment 10020
Ah, yes. You are correct. Mine does show that it is 3.2.8 as well. I have uninstalled BeerSmith and reinstalled it using the new download and still get the same error. Even restarted my computer to make sure it wasn't running in the background somewhere. Were you getting the same error before you were able to correct it, or was it a different issue?

Upvote 0
That does sound like the same error I was experiencing. I was able to get it opened and access all my old and current recipes, but admittedly it's moving slower than it used to.

Upvote 0
That's good. Please make sure your OSX General settings are in light mode (not dark or mixed) as dark mode is still causing issues. I'm working on a fairly major revision to address dark mode as well as the low resolution icons on some Mac systems.
Hey BeerSmith,

Would you be able to chime in on this? I have done all of the mentioned steps to try to correct, but it still will not load for me on Mac OS Sonoma (14.0). Every time I try to open it I get an error message that says "There is a file in your BeerSmith data directory that indicates another copy of BeerSmith may be using that data." I only have the option to "Open BeerSmith Now" (and it immediately crashes) or "Close BeerSmith."

Upvote 0
Bump to the post. Hoping there is something that can be done so I can use BeerSmith again. Any other thoughts or tricks I might try?

Upvote 0
I was having this problem as well. Upgrading to Version 3.2.8 has seemed to solve the issue.

Upvote 0
I was having this problem as well. Upgrading to Version 3.2.8 has seemed to solve the issue.
Thanks for chiming in. It got me to uninstall it again, restart my computer and reinstall it again. I still got the same error I always had when I tried to open it, but this time clicking "Open Beersmith Now" actually opened it. Before it would just crash over and over. Not sure what the difference was, but thanks for at least motivating me to try the same steps over again. Seems to have solved it now.Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 12.33.03 PM.png

Upvote 0
Back