• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Malt substitute

domanah

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I need a Weyermann malt substitute for Bestmaltz Caramel Aromatic. I was thinking Weyermann Caramunich II. Your thoughts?

Caramunich II is much too dark and probably a bit stronger in flavor than the Caramel Aromatic. Weyermann used to make a CaraVienne which was a pretty good match for the color and flavor description. I think the closest that Weyermann has right now is the CaraRed which matches the color level of the BestMalz Caramel Aromatic.

Flavor profiles are another story. BestMalz describes the Caramel Aromatic as "dark, strong caramel with light almond and nutty notes."

Weyermann CaraRed is described as "malty-sweet with notes of caramel, honey and pastry."

The BestMalz flavor descriptor is better matched with CaraAmber "Toffee, caramel and bread notes." and will only be a slight bit darker, or you could go the other way, a bit lighter, to CaraBelge which lists the flavor profile as " Notes of caramel, dried fruits and nuts (almonds)." Maybe a blend of the CaraAmber and the CaraBelge would give you more of what you are looking for, but it is difficult to predict without doing a sensory evaluation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I first started with Simpsons Premium English Caramalt but availability became an issue and switched to Caramel Aromatic. I kegged a very nice amber this week after several variations and now I need to change again... Apparently Bestmaltz will not be available.

Caramunich II is much too dark and probably a bit stronger in flavor than the Caramel Aromatic. Weyermann used to make a CaraVienne which was a pretty good match for the color and flavor description. I think the closest that Weyermann has right now is the CaraRed which matches the color level of the BestMalz Caramel Aromatic.

Flavor profiles are another story. BestMalz describes the Caramel Aromatic as "dark, strong caramel with light almond and nutty notes."

Weyermann CaraRed is described as "malty-sweet with notes of caramel, honey and pastry."

The BestMalz flavor descriptor is better matched with CaraAmber "Toffee, caramel and bread notes." and will only be a slight bit darker, or you could go the other way, a bit lighter, to CaraBelge which lists the flavor profile as " Notes of caramel, dried fruits and nuts (almonds)." Maybe a blend of the CaraAmber and the CaraBelge would give you more of what you are looking for, but it is difficult to predict without doing a sensory evaluation.

Hope this helps.
I installed the Weyermann addon but carabelge is not listed. I did download the specsheet but I cannot find the values needed to add the malt. Do you perhaps have them or show me how to determine them.

Attachments

• WEYERMANN_BREWERY_EN_CARABELGE_R.pdf
    251.3 KB · Views: 3
I need a Weyermann malt substitute for Bestmaltz Caramel Aromatic. I was thinking Weyermann Caramunich II. Your thoughts?
Substituting malts in your brewing recipes can sometimes require a bit of experimentation to achieve the desired flavor profile, but Weyermann Caramunich II is a reasonable substitute for Bestmaltz Caramel Aromatic. Both malts are caramel malts that contribute sweetness, caramel, and toffee-like flavors to your beer.

Weyermann Caramunich II is known for its rich malty and caramel characteristics and falls within the same color range as Bestmaltz Caramel Aromatic. However, keep in mind that each malt brand has its unique flavor nuances, so your beer may have a slightly different taste when using Weyermann Caramunich II compared to Bestmaltz Caramel Aromatic. It's a good idea to do a small test batch or adjust your recipe accordingly to find the right balance for your brew.

Overall, Weyermann Caramunich II should work well as a substitute, and it's a popular choice among brewers for imparting caramel sweetness and color to their beer. Enjoy your brewing experiment!

Weyermann Caramunich II could be a bit too dark and strong in flavor compared to Bestmaltz Caramel Aromatic. A closer match might be Weyermann CaraRed, which aligns better with the color level of the Bestmaltz Caramel Aromatic. If you're looking for a substitute that offers a similar color and flavor profile, CaraRed would be a suitable choice.

Back