• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Maltase Mashing, how to configure

ysanstra

New Forum Member
Reaction score
To brew a german (dunkel) weizen I would like to use the maltase mashing profile.
But I have no clue how to add this mashing profile. the problem is that the profiles do not allow a 2nd addition of malts
the logic of maltase mashing is:

1. The grain bill is split 50:50 and the first half is then mashed.
2. Mash in at 38C
3. Convert Maltose at 62C
4. Now water is added, cooling the mash down to 45C
5. Add the rest of the grain and maintain that temperature for a period to allow the Maltase to split the now existing Maltose into Glucose
6. Then proceed as normal

you can read more following this link https://edelstoffquest.wordpress.com/tag/weizen/page/2/

I've attached an excel sheet which calculates infusion temperatures and volumes based on total KG malt, malt and water temparature
the first 3 steps I can enter in the profile using 2.5KG as the basis, but then it starts to mess with the temperature in step 5.
In addition the profile is "scaled" in the recipe so the mash instructions are no longer accurate.

who can help to enter this mash profile?

Attachments

• Maltase_Masching.xlsb
    9.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Hi there!

From my "experiments" I found that it is possible to have a high glucose content without using the Herrmann Verfahren (Maltose Mash).

Here is how you can do it.
    • Dough in at 35C - (rest 15")
    • Scoop all the liquid mash to another vessel so you remain with all the grain so that there is sill a little bit of water covering them (ratio 1:2).
    • Now heat your decoction SLOWLY (1 Celsius/minute) to 70 Celsius
    • Rest the decoction at this temperature until the iodine test shows all starches are converted (15-25 min pending on malt)
    • Heat full tilt unti 100 Celsius (stirring occasionally but stop once you hit 95C
    • Boil for 5 mins
    • now sccoop enough of the hot decoction so that your main (thin) mash raises to 45C
    • Continue boiling the remaining decoction for a further 20 mins
    • sccop into main mash to achieve 62-65Celsius (pending desired final attenuation)
    • wait 20 minutes then separate about 30% of thin mash (just stir until the grain/water ratio seems well mixed) and boil that for 5"
    • return to main mash to get mash out temp at 75C (have some hot water at the ready so that you can raise the temp via infusion if you don't hit that figure
    • wait 5-10 minutes then transfer to Laeuter Tun or just wait 30 mins if your mash tun is also your sparge vessel

It's quite subtle.  What one needs to appreciate is that boiling the grain will free more starches -- which can then be converted by the enzymes in the lower temp waiting mash.  Your main decoction already made some maltose which is now being converted by the maltase in the waiting mash at 45C.  This is plenty and gives a real banana-bomb if you use a strain like WLP300!

Hope this helps... I may write this one up in more details on the blog some day...

Happy Brewing and greetings from Munich!

Back