• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Efficiency with Sugar Addition

JupiterJesus

Apprentice
Reaction score
The other day I was making a Sweet Stout. I put in my measured pre-boil volume and measured pre-boil gravity and got a really low mash efficiency. The estimated mash efficiency is 63% and the measured mash efficiency is 70%. My mash efficiency is usually 78%.

Even though I'm adding the sugar at the end of the boil, BeerSmith appears to be taking the lactose into account when estimating what my pre-boil gravity should be. In order to get an accurate reading of my mash efficiency, I have to reduce my sugar addition to 0, go back to the mash screen and read the new 'measured mash efficiency' and jot it down somewhere because as soon as I increase my lactose back up to a non-zero amount the measured efficiency will be wrong again.

BeerSmith 1 had this same problem when adding sugar or doing a partial mash. I haven't checked if BeerSmith 2 has this problem when doing a partial mash, but it definitely does when adding sugar.

Back