• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash hopping and software settings

Dragonwood Brewing

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m just building a recipe for a hoppy American wheat ale. I have decided to do a mash hop with whole leaf cascade.

What does everyone put into the mesh hop setting? If I put 60 minutes in the time box the software will show an IBU value.

Mash hopping should give zero bittering.

So should the time duration be set to 0 minutes even though I will mash for 60 minutes?

Pretty simple to create your recipe without the mash hop addition, note the IBUs and then enter the addition and compare with the noted IBUs.

Yes. I just like to have the mash hop addition in the recipe for my recipe history purposes.

Yes. I just like to have the mash hop addition in the recipe for my recipe history purposes.
Maybe I wasn't clear in my initial response. You will be adding the mash hop addition to the recipe after you look at the estimated IBUs without it included. Once you add it and save the recipe, it will be part of the recipe and saved as such.

The other approach is to add your mash hops into the recipe so that it prints out in the brew steps. Then if you do not want the calculated IBU from the mash hops to be taken into account adjust the %AA for the mash hops within the recipe to be 0%. This will then calculate out no IBU contribution from the mash hops, but they will be in the recipe from both a brew day addition and as a historical record.

also, setting it to Mash instead of Boil GREATLY reduces the amount of IBU contribution.
example: i added ONLY 2 oz of Saaz [3.75%AA] to a beer [a generic base, 1.058 SG, est ABV 5.7%], with no other hops and got these results:
60 min Mash, 4.8 IBU
60 min Boil, 24.0 IBU
5 day dry hop, 0 IBU

so putting them into BS as Dry Hop, will not add any IBU to the calculations in the recipe...but you have to remember to add that they were Mash in your Notes.
putting them in a Mash hops, does show added IBU to the calculations, but not nearly as much as adding them as Boil hops

or, as posted by Oginme, put them in BS as 0.0% AA for that recipe.

i have not used Mash hops yet, but feel that the estimate of 4.8 IBU is probably more accurate than the 0 IBU of dry hopping BUT i have not really read up on it in a couple of years. surely there is some, even if minimal, IBU contribution just based on the initial water solubility of compounds.
is it more towards literally 0.1 IBU? i don't know, but there was, for a time, a debate on IBUs as scale anyway and the idea of promoting perceived bitterness, since IBU alone is a "non-standard" actual scale.

Back